Tuesday, October 21, 2014

11th Annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run

This past Saturday was the 11th Annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run and it was my fifth year to participate, or maybe my sixth. I've honestly lost count. At any rate, I participated again this year and it was just as much fun as every other year. 

The race started at 8:00 a.m. and I drove over to my cousin Lauren's house at 7:15 a.m. to meet up with her and Anna and some of Lauren's Co-Workers. We all walked from Lauren's house to the race start which was about a mile away. I think everyone but me ran all or at least some of the race. I walked the whole thing because for one I hate running and for two I'm having problems with my knee still. So, I just strolled and took it all in, as they say. 

The citizens of our fine city were out along the streets as they always are and were just as enthusiastic as ever. One of the streets was decorated with balloons and wooden cut outs of pink ribbons. It looked especially festive. As always, there were tons of tutus and other outrageous outfits along the way, including one man who was dressed from head to toe in pink - even with a pink wig and pink bra. This is one of the funnest races of the year and I love that everyone lets their inner crazy shine through. I, once again, wore my pink tutu. 

When I finished the race, I didn't expect to see anyone I knew at the finish line. I figured everyone would have already begun making their way back to Lauren's house. However, Lauren, Anna, Anna's husband Randy and a couple of others were waiting for me at the finish line and cheering on my last few steps. It warmed my heart, especially since just a few steps before seeing them I was thinking to myself how nice it would be for someone I know to be cheering me on for a change. I secretly always hope someone in my family will show up and cheer me on at a race, but my family likes to sleep late. It was so nice of them to wait on me and my slow-paced self. 

After crossing the finish line, I circled back around to the group and we journeyed back to Lauren's house where we went our separate ways for the day. It was another successful Ribbon Run and a great way to spend a beautiful fall Saturday morning. 

No comments: