Tuesday, November 18, 2014

One Down, One to Go

Well, the first Parker knee surgery of 2014 is complete! My dad had his right knee operated on this past Friday and so far I think he is doing great. He had to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. and my cousin Jessica "drove" him to the hospital. By "drove" I mean she rode with him as he drove to the hospital. He had to have a responsible adult there to make sure he had a ride home and she was nominated to be the responsible adult. 

I got to the hospital about 6:30 a.m. after first making a stop at Hardee's for some sausage biscuits for the handful of people I knew were coming. When I arrived, I went back and saw my dad, talked to the doctor and stayed until a slew of church members came back at which point I took my leave because it was a wee bit crowded. The gave him his sleepy drugs not long after the church folks stopped by. My mother, unfortunately was relying on my unreliable brother and didn't make it to the hospital until after my dad had gone to surgery. 

In addition to the folks from the church where my dad preaches, our good friend Naaman and my friend Leah also came to sit with us at the hospital. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes and I talked to the doctor when he came out because my mom was off talking to Naaman somewhere. Every time I talked to the doctor I felt like a very responsible adult. When the surgery was over, most everyone left except for Naaman who stayed with us to the end. His wife Cheryl came by and so did my mom's dad. 

We got called to the back around 10:00 a.m. where my dad, bless him, asked the same questions over and over again - it was the drugs. We got him home and I picked up some Five Guys for everyone and then took my leave. Since I had the day off, I took advantage of it and went to see a movie. I chose Interstellar, and I'm here to tell you, I thought it was terrible so please don't waste your money. 

My dad was actually walking around the day of his surgery. The next day he had pain and soreness, but on Sunday, he drove himself to church and on Monday he drove himself to therapy. When he got to therapy, he could bend his knee 115% whereas most people can only bend it 90%. So, now, I've got to try and match or beat that when I have my surgery because isn't everything in life a competition? 
So, we're one knee surgery down and one more to go. My dad is doing great and I'm thankful for that and I'm hopeful my recovery will be as easy as his is going. Here's to hoping. 

1 comment:

Erika said...

I'm glad he's doing so well!