Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Post-Surgical Post

So, first of all, I'm alive and I guess that's the most important thing. I had a busy week at work and otherwise last week and didn't post as much as I had planned. Then, I had knee surgery and I'm using that as my other excuse as to why there was nothing posted. My surgery was last Thursday and in addition to being somewhat busy or incapacitated since then, I also haven;t much felt like picking up a computer - time off from work will have that effect on a person. So, here I am to catch you up on everything before the onslaught of Christmas activities begin.

My surgery was last Thursday and I had to be at The Surgery Center at the wee hour of 5:30 a.m. My dad picked me up that morning and took me in. I got signed in and was back in pre-op ready to go within an hour's time. My dad stayed with me until they took me back. We had a prayer just the two of us and then my surgeon prayed as well which I thought was great. I obviously do not remember one thing about the surgery, but I do remember the attempt to wake up from the surgery. I got extremely sick such that a gown change was necessary. I don't remember the last time I felt that nauseous. I was so sick, in fact, that they moved me to a room for about an hour (maybe two) so I could recover. I was given plenty of anti-nausea medication and by the time I left I felt 100 times better than I had earlier.

My dad took me home but first we stopped off at the drug store to get my medications filled. We both napped in the den after getting home and at some point my friend Candy came by to drop off a Steak-Out gift certificate so I could have some yummy dinner during my recovery. My dad left at some point during the day to take a trip up to Tennessee to buy some country ham - I realize that sounds kind of hilarious, but it's true. Our friend Naaman stopped by to check on me and Pippa while my dad was gone and other than that I think I slept the whole time.

That evening my friend Amber brought by some food for me to have for lunch the next day and not long after she left, Nick and Kristina brought dinner. They stayed to eat with us and then Paul and Leah stopped by to visit and they ate dinner too. The next thing I knew my cousin Jessica and my grandmother came by with some soup and all of a sudden we had an impromptu party of sorts. It was good to visit with everyone and it was so nice of all of them to stop in and check on me. Everyone left about 9:00 p.m. and I fell asleep soon after. About 10:00 p.m. I told my dad I was going to bed and he was shocked because he thought it was early still. When I told him what time it was, he was even more shocked. He ended up going to bed too. He stayed the night with me to make sure I didn't need anything which was very nice.

Friday morning my dad cooked pancakes and was then on his way. My friend Kristen came by with lunch and a movie and while she was at the house, DirecTV came by to set up my new DVR system - I bought myself a new TV for Christmas. While the guy was here, he opened up the new TV box and it was shattered. So, Kristen graciously drove me to Target to exchange it for one that wasn't shattered. Thankfully they had the same one in stock. We got back to the house and Paul arrived not long after to fix my glass door and he helped move TVs around and get them set up. Then both Paul and Kristen went their separate ways and I enjoyed my new TV. That evening Christy stopped by with some dinner and stayed to visit for a while.

Saturday was rather uneventful, although I did get to take my bandages off and shower for the first time since surgery which proved to be an exhausting task. That afternoon, Leah and I went to The Living Christmas Tree at First Baptist Church which was really nice. We both enjoyed it a lot. She also brought me some soup for dinner which I enjoyed when I got home.

Sunday my cousins Chris and Amy picked me up for church and we enjoyed a nice Christmas service and then went out to lunch together. That evening I braved driving for the first time since surgery and met some friends at the theater for "The Hobbit"/ I still have an annoying cough which is worse at night so I'm sure I got on all their nerves with my coughing but they were kind enough to not say anything.

On Monday morning, I got up early, showered and then went to physical therapy. I had very little pain since the surgery, mostly just tenderness by the time Monday rolled around. The physical therapist was impressed with my mobility and gave me an at home routine and sent me on my way. He told me there was really no need to come back unless I started experiencing pain. I go back to the surgeon next Monday to get my stitches out which I'm looking forward to because they are starting to itch. Thankfully I keep them covered with a waterproof bandage and so I just scratch the bandage for a little relief.

Today I haven't done much of anything other than nap and watch TV. I have HBO for free for the next three months and so I decided to watch Game of Thrones - I'm already on the third season. I think my brain is on Game of Thrones overload. It's been a rainy, stormy day so really it's good that I didn't have anywhere to go or anything to do. I had made a stop by the grocery store the day before after therapy so there was no need for me to get out and fight all the holiday traffic.

All in all, the road to recovery has been very easy. I was blessed with some many people checking in on me and making sure I was doing well and bringing me yummy food to eat. I was well taken care of by my family and my friends and I am so grateful to all of them for their help and most of all their prayers. I don't think I could have asked for a smoother recovery from knee surgery.

No comments: