Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Washing Machine Woes

Well, it's been an extremely busy couple of days at work and even my lunch time has been consumed with answering emails and scheduling meetings. I rarely get on the computer at home, which I think I've mentioned so I've finally, I've found a few minutes to write. 

This past Friday night, I was watching TV, playing Candy Crush, being used as a pillow by The Pip and doing laundry when I thought I heard what sounded like water tricking down and running into the floor. I muted the TV, listened a little more carefully and after a minute or so, got up to check the washer and sure enough, water was beginning to spread the length of the laundry room. I cut the machine off and discovered that apparently something had happened such that the water wasn't shutting off when it should have and now water was pouring out the back of the washing machine. I had previously had some issues with the washer a few years back and knew I had the repairman's number in my phone. I remembered his name was kind of unique and so I spent a few minutes going through my contact list looking for his name. I found it under Washer Repairman. Sometimes I'm too logical for my own good. It was 9:00 at night so I decided it was too late to call and thought it would be best to call the next morning around 9:00 a.m. so as not to call too early. 

I called the next morning and (I'm assuming) Mr. P's wife answered the phone and said he could come between 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. and I said that would be just fine. Well, about 1:30 p.m., he still had not shown up but I figured he might be running late. Finally, at 2:00 p.m. I decided I had better give him a call. He was apparently installing a dishwasher and it was taking a lot longer than he expected. I asked him to please call me before coming. Number one I wanted to make sure I was awake (I was ready to nap) and number two, I wanted to put The Pip up. Bless her heart, I had put her up at noon expecting Mr. P to be there soon after and she stayed in the crate until I called him and found out he was running way behind. 

Finally about 3:30 p.m., Mr. P and his assistant showed up and within five minutes and $80 later, I was back in the laundry business. It would seem that something just needed to be tightened and it was probably something I could have done myself. Y'all, blue collar is the way to go these days. Some of these young guys and gals trying to figure out what to do with their lives should just go learn a trade and be done with it because we will always be in need of repair persons and since there aren't too many repair persons in the world today, you ca probably make bank doing it. I mean, Mr. P. made $80 in less than five minutes! At that rate, it's $960 an hour!

I washed three loads of clothes between Saturday night and Sunday morning with no problem. On Sunday morning, I put the sheets from my bed in the wash before leaving for church and when I got home, I was going to transfer them to the dryer. I opened the washer only to discover that the sheets had not spun out. I figured the machine had gotten off balance and long story short, the spinner was apparently now not working. So, I called Mr. P. again and he said he would come to the house when I got off work on Monday. I ended up hanging the sheets on the line to get most of the water out and then drying them the rest of the way. 

Monday afternoon, I had to call Mr. P. to remind him he was supposed to stop by - he had forgotten, but he only lives a couple of streets over so it doesn't take him long to drive two blocks. This time, he spent about 10 minutes at the house and once again got the machine in working condition. He didn't charge me anything though and told me we would just consider it part of the Saturday repair. 

So, my washing machine woes have come to an end, at least for now. I'm hoping I won't have any more issues for a while and that I'll be washing clothes with this washer for a few more years. 

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I love good repairmen!! I have the best AC guy in town and he never charges me for more than just the part because he feels sorry for me:)