Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter: A Review




So, last night I took a slew of kids (well, three) to see “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.” Man, that’s a long title to type. As I’ve mentioned before, I am a firm believer of reading a book before seeing the movie. As it turns out, I’ve read all the Harry Potter books about 100 times (well, maybe just four or five). These books are THE BEST! If you’ve never read them, you are missing out on one of life’s great reads! And that ain’t no lie. I realize that these books are geared toward children, but come on people; everyone has a kid in them somewhere.

Anyway, let’s get back to this movie review. So, my best friend Jackie and her son Troy came along and the three kids I had with me belonged to folks I go to church with. I basically stole their kids for the night since I don’t have any of my own.

On a whole, the movie was pretty good. I realize that because these books are so long that the script can’t include everything from the book. So, there were parts missing and parts that didn’t happen exactly the same as the book and a few things that were added. But, overall I think it captured the essence of the book and the dark times of the wizarding world.

I think the actors in the movie did a great job as always. Who doesn’t love Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall? She totally rocks! The trio of Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint has basically grown up as Harry, Hermione and Ron, and they get better with each movie. Michael Gambon does a nice job portraying the fatherly headmaster, and Alan Rickman, well, no one else on earth would have done as well as he in the role of Snape.

This film added Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn, and although I pictured Slughorn as a larger bloke, Broadbent, was amazing and his facial expressions were priceless!

It has been really great watching these characters over the years and it’s always exciting when another Potter movie is released. I will be oh so sad when the last two are over. And while nothing on the screen ever plays out as fantastic as it does in your imagination, this movie is definitely worth seeing in the theater. I myself am planning on seeing it again – maybe even this weekend.

No comments: