Friday, July 10, 2009

My Sister's Keeper: A Review


Who out there has read “My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Piccoult? Raise your hand please. Wasn’t it an awesome book? I had a hard time putting it down. It was very gripping and really tugged on the ole heart strings. Well, if you read then book, then I beg of you, don’t go see the movie. You will probably be disappointed.

I am a huge proponent of reading the book before seeing the movie and yes, I know this usually ends in heartache and disappointment for the reader. Believe me I know; it happens every time, without fail. There are always a (very) few exceptions. “Of Mice and Men” with John Malkovich was simply wonderful – John Steinbeck would have been proud; and I like the “Harry Potter” movies. I realize that there are a lot of things left out of the Harry Potter movies, but let’s face it; we’d be in the theater for seven hours at a time if they included everything, so I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt – more on that in the next couple of weeks. So, yes, I know I will be disappointed if I read the book first, but it’s just this thing I have and I can’t stop it.

So, back to the original topic; “My Sister’s Keeper.” I loved the book and was really excited to see the movie. While watching the movie, there were a few things that were changed, but nothing life shattering and I was actually enjoying myself. And, then the ending came. I was bracing myself for what I knew to be the ending and it didn’t come. In fact, the ending was entirely different than the book. I realize that authors sell their work for truckloads of money, but have a little dignity and make these folks at least have the same ending as your book. Overall, the movie was really good. It was sad of course, but it followed the book rather closely, except for the ending, which again was quite disappointing. So, if you loved the book like me, you might want to wait for the rental.

Until next time…

1 comment:

Mary McLaughlin said...

I haven't read the book...but am going to get it at lunch. Loved the movie! Especially Sonia Vas..... whatever her name is! She was amazing!