Monday, November 18, 2013

Dallas - Part One

I'm sure you're probably wondering about Dallas, or at least how my trip to Dallas was because if you're anything like my best friends then you have about 134 questions to ask about my trip. Sorry, but I probably won't provide the answers in this post; but, I will provide a synopsis of the trip and maybe that will appease you all for now. 

My flight for Dallas left Huntsville at 10:06 a.m. Everyone seems perplexed that I didn't take the American Airlines direct flight from Huntsville to Dallas, but last time I checked, money wasn't growing on that one tree in my backyard and so I opted for the cheapest and fastest ticket out of town. That ticket happened to be on US Airways which meant that I had to fly to Charlotte first. Yes, I realize this does not even make the slightest bit of sense. I had about 45 minutes scheduled between my flights, but because the Vice President (yes, Joe Biden) was in town, a lot of flights were late coming in and people were running around like crazy trying to make it to their next gate. I was just casually walking to my next gate and felt like at some point I might be run over by a running man or women in a business suit. 

My flight from Charlotte to Dallas was about three hours and I was hoping that they might actually show a movie and was disappointed when that did not happen. I had a window seat (my favorite) and the guy next to me slept most of the way and it was really an uneventful flight. I felt like there was more legroom on the US Air flight than I usually have on the Delta flights so that was nice. 

I arrived in Dallas a little after 3:00 and finally wound my way down to the baggage claim where I met Nevin. I didn't have any bags to pick up, but it was the easiest place for meeting I suppose and it all worked out. We walked to the car where I met Nevin's brother, Nolan and we set off for the JFK Museum. I had bought tickets for the 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. time slot and had also printed direction before I left and gave them to Nevin before we set off. In typical man fashion, Nevin totally ignored the directions I gave him and instead wanted to use his phone which took us into Fort Worth. I knew all along that we were not headed in the right direction, but was trying to be polite and so I didn't say anything until we ended up in the wrong place and now I can never let him forget it. 

Nevin turned the car around and we headed back towards Dallas and he would probably like for me to mention that we made it to the museum in 30 minutes when the GPS said it would take 50. I have no proof of this, but this is what he said so I have to believe him. We ended up arriving at the museum at 5:05 and I was concerned they wouldn't let us in since this was past the time slot for our tickets. Thankfully, they still accepted the tickets and we had no problem at all. 

I had seen online before leaving that the museum has extended hours right now and is open until 7:00 p.m. but at 10 minutes until 6:00 p.m. when we were not even halfway through the exhibits, a security guard came round and told everyone the museum would be closing in 10 minutes and I was like, "huh?" So, I started zipping through exhibits as if there would be no tomorrow and clearly the museum did not close at 6:00 p.m. because we didn't finish up until 6:45 p.m. and no one attempted to kick us out. There were a few things I skipped and so I obviously wished I had more time to spend there, but at least I've been. 

From the JFK Museum, we walked to the American Airlines Center, which was six blocks away, for the concert. The tickets said the show started at 7:00 and there was an opening band, but I should have known there was no way the show would begin then because I've never been to a Pearl Jam show that started on time. In other words, we totally had time to find a place for a sit down meal, but instead I had a hot dog and a Diet Coke which I proceeded to spill all over my sleeve. No one's ever called me graceful. 

I came to the concert with the intention of buying one of the limited edition posters that Pearl Jam sells specific to each show and so we headed to the merchandise table after I cleaned myself up. I was one of the lucky ones who actually got a poster, because as predicted by yours truly, they sold out. I'm so excited about this souvenir and plan to have it framed as soon as possible. The poster is actually double-sided and so I want to inquire about having it framed with glass on both sides. This might be someone's project for my February birthday. 

This is where I will leave you for now. I'll continue the story tomorrow because I'm sure I'll end up saying a lot about the concert and well, there's not much to say about a 12-hour ride home. Plus, if I keep typing this post will be forever long and you might want to stop reading. So, until tomorrow...

No comments: