Friday, September 7, 2012


I'm going to ramble today, because I know that you love it when I just type things as they come to me...or something like that.

On Wednesday, for the first time ever, I decided to play all of the songs on my iPod in a shuffle mode. This was strange for me because I am so structured in what I listen to and can sing along to albums like nobody's business. The thought of shuffling it all up was kind of a foreign concept to me - it's like a mixed tape, you never know what to expect next, and I guess I like knowing what's coming up next. Wednesday, however, I couldn't decide what I wanted to listen to and decided to go to all songs and just hit shuffle. As of the moment I am writing this, I am on song 65 of 913 - obviously, I have a while to go to listen to all the songs. One thing this little experiment has confirmed (and I guess I really already knew) - I have a lot of Pearl Jam and a lot of jazz on my iPod. Shuffling the songs has been quite interesting and I have enjoyed the odd mix that has come about. I should have tried this a long time ago.

Also on Wednesday... I went to bed around 9:30 - I was tired and about to fall asleep on the couch so I just went on to bed. About 11:30 I woke up because I was hot and felt like the air was stifling. In a daze, I looked around and after 30 seconds or so I realized that the power was out - no wonder I was hot. I have no idea how long the power had been out. I venture to say around an hour or so because I got up and turned on my phone to see what time it was and also to set the alarm on the phone in case the power never came back on during the night. It was 11:30ish when I powered up the phone and I checked the Twitter feed to see if Huntsville Utilities was on the case - as it turns out they were. I went back to bed and fell asleep and the next thing I remember is being cold because the power had come back on and the AC was blowing full blast as was the ceiling fan. Again, I have no idea what time this occurred, but I think the power kicked on some time around midnight based on how accurate my unset clock was to the actual time. It probably goes without saying that Wednesday night was not the best night of sleep I have ever received.

As a result of the lackluster sleep Wednesday night, I rolled in to work on Thursday feeling quite tired. After our morning meeting, I went to the cafeteria to get a coffee and afterwards as I was walking down the aisle to my desk, a mouse ran out in front of me. Yes, I screamed at the top of my lungs and quite frankly, it's a wonder I didn't let out some inappropriate curse word. At that point, I was quite awake and so was everyone else I would assume. Everyone got a big laugh out of my screaming and thankfully another person saw the mouse out of the corner of his eye - otherwise I might think I was a wee bit crazy. Someone called facilities and they sent a man over who laid out some of those sticky strips which probably won't catch the little critter.

Thursday night I have election training. I won't have a chance to write about it until next week because this post is going up Friday and I'll be scheduling it to post before I leave for my training. I'm sure I have mentioned on here before that my dad is the inspector at his polling location and I will now be a worker at my polling location. My first stint as a poll worker will be on September 18 when we have a special voting day for an amendment to the Alabama constitution. Why they are setting aside a whole day of voting for this one thing I will never know - these are your tax dollars at work, people. I expect to see very few people come through the polling place that day; especially considering during the recent mayoral election I voted an hour and a half before closing and less than 500 people had voted. I suspect there will be even less people than that on the day of this special election because in all honesty, I don't even think that many people know about it. At any rate, it will be my first taste of working an election, unless you count that dreadful experience from Greene County when I was in college and was supposed to watch a poll for the Republican party. That, dear friends, is a story for another time. I think I am still scarred from that experience. I will also be working the November 6 presidential election which is sure to see a lot more voters than this special election coming up in a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I'll be filling you in on all the details of both election working experiences.

This Sunday, September 9, is Friend's Day at the Hampton Cove Church of Christ which is where my parents' attend and my dad is the preacher. Y'all should come on out and visit that day. I'll be there along with my infamous coleslaw that everyone seems to love. Classes start at 9:00 a.m. and worship is at 10:00 a.m. The address is 409 Old Big Cove Road, Brownsboro, AL 35741. I would link to the web site, but y'all, it is so outdated and sad. I'm trying to get that resolved for them. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Your rambling thoughts are always entertaining to me :) Looking forward to reading about your poll worker experience :) That is weird that they have a special day just for the amendment vote.