Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Book Review: Savor



Y'all are probably going to get tired of book reviews before too long. I do apologize. I've been given a lot of interesting book opportunities lately and they all seem to come due around the same time. So, if reading book reviews isn't your cup of tea, I hope you'll stick it out and come back another day when I maybe have something more interesting to say. 

Today's review is for a book that I was really looking forward to receiving. When I saw it on the list of books available for review I knew immediately that I wanted to request it straightaway. The name of the book is "Savor" and it was written by Shauna Niequist. You may recall that I reviewed another of her books a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed that book and so I was looking forward to receiving and reviewing "Savor". 

"Savor" is a book of 365 devotionals and is subtitled, "Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are" which is such a great concept because I think more often than not we are striving for something bigger and better than what we are or what we have and as a result we often overlook how great we really have it and don't live to our fullest. The book arrived while I was away on vacation and in some ways it was what I expected and in other ways it was not. 

There is an entry for each day of the calendar year that has a scripture at the top of the page and then a story or thought by Niequist. At the bottom of each page is a question for the reader to think about for the day, or the moment which relates to the story and scripture above. All of these things are what I would expect from a daily devotional; however, I think I had in mind that there would be more scripture and less story. I think I also had pictured in my mind that the book would have a spot for a journal entry as well. I like the idea of the question at the end of the page, but there is not room to write your answer in the book - not that everyone would be keen to do that, but it would be nice to write down your thoughts that day and then go back and do the devotionals again in a few years and compare your thoughts and answers from a few years back to where you are today - have you grown, fallen back, etc.  So, those are really are the only things I was disappointed with. Of course, you can always buy a small notebook to accompany the devotional book, I just think it would be better to have it all together. 

The presentation of the devotionals is very nice and clean with minimal graphics and very understated which is Niequist's style and I love it. The book is hardback, but cloth bound so it would be great for gifting as it beautifully put together. There are also recipes scattered throughout which might come off as a little odd, but if you are familiar with Niequist's work, then you know she loves to cook and fellowship with people over meals and so it's not unusual that she  would include a few recipes in her latest book. 

If you're looking for a devotional book to finish out this year or maybe to purchase for next year I would say take this one into consideration. It retails for less than $15 and you can preview the inside at Amazon before deciding to purchase. Overall, I think it's a nice book and would be beneficial to those looking for something to keep them on track in their devotionals throughout the year. 

No comments: