Tuesday, April 7, 2015

On Monday and Tuesday

Monday and Tuesday were both rather busy days in our nation's capitol. Monday we walked around eight miles and Tuesday we walked a little over nine. I'm surprised my fitbit hasn't crashed from all those steps. 

Monday morning we got into DC early and waited inline for passes to the Holocaust Museum. We got tickets for the opening time and spent a majority of the day there. The museum and exhibits were very moving and touching. I'm so glad we were able to visit this museum especially since it was not open the last time I visited DC. 

After the Holocaust Museum, we went to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History where we watched a film on Jerusalem that was very good. We walked around the various exhibits and spent a few hours there. The best exhibit was the mammal exhibit which had mammals from all over the world. 

When we were finished with the museum, we took a Pedi-Cab to the Lincoln Memorial and from there went to the Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, MLK, Jr. Memorial and FDR Memorial. Then we went back to the metro station, grabbed a sandwich from Panera and headed back to the condo for the night. It was our longest and most exhausting day so far. 

On Tuesday we again got into DC early and got in line for tickets to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Then we went to the Capitol where we had a tour scheduled through Congressman Mo Brooks' office. The capitol tour was interesting but there were so many people there it was hard to enjoy at times. 

After we were finished with the tour, we ate lunch in one of the cafeterias there and then set off for the Museum of American History. We more or less breezed through the museum because there were several sections closed and everything else was just kind of blah, The best part was the exhibition of first ladies' dresses. 

When we were done with the museum, we went to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for our tour which lasted about 30 minutes or so and was interesting. This would be the last event for the day because at this point we both had aching feet and were ready to get "home". So, we headed back, got some dinner and called it a night. 

More adventures are in store for the rest of the week. There's no telling what we might see or do!

No comments: