Monday, April 20, 2015

My First Weekend At Home This April

This past weekend was my first one back after being on vacation and I'm happy to say it was busy and yet I still got some things taken care of around the house that needed to be done. 

The first week back home was rather uneventful. I went to the gym a few times and tried to catch up on as many TV shows as possible, got the oil changed in the car and took care of other mundane things such as bill paying and house cleaning and met up with friends for coffee at a Starbucks that closes at 8:30 p.m. - I mean, really? Despite only working three days last week, I was still looking forward to the weekend. Friday night I had nothing of great importance going on unless you count laundry and TV watching important. I even went to bed before 10:00 p.m. as I was starting to doze off and just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. 

Saturday was a pretty eventful day. It started by me going to the gym a little after they opened at 8:00 a.m. I powered through on the bike for about 45 minutes or so and then headed home where I planned to just do some weed eating, but ended up knocking out all of the yard work. We have had rain, rain and more rain since I've been home and I think while I was away as well. So, I think it goes without saying that the grass was overdue for a cut. When all was said and done, it was still higher than I prefer it being, but at least it wasn't knee high and it looked a heck of a lot better than it had that morning. 

After I was done with the grass, I had a bout 15 minutes to sit and cool off before leaving to go meet my friends Erika and Kendra for lunch. Thankfully I have friends who aren't embarrassed to see me and smell me in my lawnmowing clothes. I did give them the courtesy of changing into a clean shirt before meeting them for lunch. We met at Blue Plate Cafe and it was so good to see these two. Kendra moved to Nashville a little over six months ago (so hard to believe it's been that long) and so we don't get to see her as often as we would like. We had the sweetest waitress Bobbi, who could apparently tell we were there to catch up with each other and told us to take our time and talk and not worry about leaving any time soon. I thought that was so nice of her because most waitresses or waiters are ready to get folks out so they can make more money. We stayed about two hours catching up and lamenting our singleness which was good for my soul and I'm sure theirs as well. 

After we left Blue Plate, it was back home to finish up some things in the yard where I then discovered a surprise in the bushes outside the back door. I thought a bird had been flying out of the bush from time to time when I opened the back door, and sure enough, a mama robin has made a nest and laid some eggs there. It would appear I'll be having some baby birds outside the back door before too long. If I can, I'll chronicle as much as possible about these little birdies here on the blog. 

When I finished outside, I made some coleslaw for a cookout later that evening, finished up some chores and finally take a shower. The cookout was hosted by a girl from church, Tara, who actually lives almost directly behind Erika (oddly enough). She grilled hot dogs and everyone brought a side dish and she set up a large movie screen under her carport and we watched one of the Indiana Jones movies which I had not seen in forever. It was a fun time and there were probably about 20 people or so who came. I left after the movie was over and spent the rest of the evening watching hockey. 

Sunday was a rather typical day with church and then a Huddles meeting with the ninth graders that evening. After Huddles I spent the rest of the night finishing up some things around the house - including finally unpacking my suitcase and putting it away for another year. Vacation was great, but it was also nice to get back into the swing of things at home 

1 comment:

Erika said...

Guess whose gonna crash the party next time???!! lol

I didn't know she lived that close to me.