Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Vacation 2015 Came to a Close

I'll try to not to repeat myself today, but I'm not making any promises. Our vacation drew to a close over the weekend. Our last day in DC was Saturday. We packed up, loaded up and hit the metro for one last ride into the city. We had seats in the grand stands for the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade.

The parade started at 10:00 a.m. and we were close to the section where the performers stopped to sing a song or dance a jig. It was definitely the best parade we have ever seen which I guess isn't saying much since we've only ever been to parades in Huntsville. It lasted about two and a half hours and had a lot of great marching bands (my favorite) as well as floats, and some of those large balloons that they have in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. There were also celebrity performers, including Lance Bass formerly of NSYNC! There were other "celebrities" but I wasn't really familiar with them.

Once the parade was over, we caught the metro back to the station, jumped in the car and made our way southwest. We stopped for gas and food about two hours into our drive before arriving in Abingdon around 7:00 p.m. We checked into the hotel and unloaded our bags before we made a return trip to the Barter Theater for another live production. This time we saw "Anything Goes" and it was great! We laughed so hard I was actually doubled over at times.

On Sunday we went to church and then went to the grassy knoll by the Martha Washington hotel for a free bluegrass concert from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. After the concert, we went back to the hotel and watched some of the Masters before going to dinner and another play. Sunday night's play was called "The Gnome". It had apparently won some play writing competition in Virginia and it was by far the worst play I think I have ever seen. I think we both wish we could have our money back on that one.

Monday morning, we left Abingdon around 10:00 a.m. and headed South. We made a stop in Chattanooga at Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls. I'm sure I've probably been there before, but I don't recall. It had been raining quite a bit recently and so the falls was actually flowing pretty well. I didn't know it was underground and so it was a pretty interesting journey into the cave to see the falls.

We made it home around 4:30 p.m. or something like that. I honestly am not sure what time we finally landed in Huntsville. It was another good vacation and time well spent on the road of adventure. I'm blessed to have these memories with my dad.

Mr. and Mrs. Claus made an appearance at the parade! 

















No comments: