Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Long Weekend

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was beyond thankful to have a three day weekend this past week. I needed the extra day for so many reasons and could have used another one as well. There's always something to do when you are a homeowner, there's no doubt about it. 

I kicked off the weekend on Friday by going to an area wide singing at the Randolph church. It started at 7:00 p.m. and went until nine and it was very enjoyable, as it always is. The building at Randolph is perfect for singing. It's an older building and the ceiling was built for acoustical purposes because there were probably no microphones long ago when the structure was built. So, it makes for a great night of singing. I saw lots of familiar faces although I don't know names. The same folks seem to make the circuit each week and they are all over 70 I think. I need to recruit some younger people to start attending these singings! When it was over, there were snacks, but I was tired and ready to hit the road, so I ventured the two miles back home and went to bed. 

Saturday was a long busy day. I got so much accomplished that morning and afternoon that the evening felt like a complete failure. I got up around 6:00 a.m. and immediately got dressed and went to the shed in the backyard to clean and purge and price. Three hours (and many spider encounters) later, I had a car load of stuff priced and loaded up in my car to take to my grandmother's house for the garage sale. I couldn't take it right away though because she wasn't out of the bed yet and she didn't want to get up; so, I told her I would come later that afternoon. 

I did some laundry and watched a little TV and then headed a few blocks away to help someone move from their apartment. The girl is acquainted with someone from my Bible school class and we are trying to encourage her to come to church and so a group of us went over to her apartment to help her load up a POD to move her things to a house she just bought. There were so many of us that there was only about an hour's worth of work, but I think it made a good impression on the girl and hopefully she will visit us at church some time soon. 

When I was done with that task, it was time for my grandmother to be up so I was able to take the treasures from the shed over to her house. I dropped off those things and visited for a few minutes and then was off to my next task of mowing the grass. I didn't mow the previous weekend so there was no getting around it this time. I knocked it out in about an hour and thankfully it was't dreadfully hot. The next item on the list was to give Pippa a bath. She had stubbornly stood in front of me as I swept out the shed so she was rather dirty and she hadn't had a bath in some time. So, we ventured down to the pet store in Five Points and she was properly cleaned. This final task of the day was completed at 2:30 p.m. and it was then that I finally got myself cleaned up and then laid down for a nap. I was rather worn out to say the least. 

To say it was an eventful Saturday is putting it mildly. I think it was the busiest I've been in quite some time, but it felt good to get a lot of things done to kick off the holiday weekend! 

1 comment:

Erika said...

Doesn't it feel good to get so much done? I felt that way about my Monday.

I hate I couldn't come to the singing; every time I go to one I'm always so glad I did.