Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past: A Review

Once upon a time when I didn’t have a boyfriend, I would gather together all my gal cousins and some of our friends and about once a month we would go see the latest and greatest chick flick. Then I met Tony. And then, if you ask my cousins anyway, it all fell by the wayside. So, in order to once again be in the good graces of those who love me, I planned a movie night for the gals this past Friday night.

First up was sushi with Jan, Anna, and Jackie. After dinner, when we received our checks to pay, I started digging in my purse for my wallet only to realize that I had left it at home. So, Jan graciously paid for my dinner and then my movie entrance. Thanks, Jan!

The movie we saw was “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past,” starring Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner. It also had Lacey Chabert, and it took me forever (well, until mid-way through the movie) to realize that she played Claudia on “Party of Five.” Who didn’t love “Party of Five”? There were a few other familiar faces, including Michael Douglas, and the same girl that played young Jennifer Garner in “13 Going on 30” played young Jennifer Garner in this flick as well. A nice touch, I thought.

In all honesty, this was truly a typical chick flick – guy and girl love each other, guy and girl fall apart, guy and girl get back together, all is well with the world. I didn’t have high expectations for liking this film going in, but wanted to regain the love of my family and that’s why I selected this particular film. I was pleasantly surprised, however. Overall, it was a pretty good film and I even found myself getting a little teary eyed at the end. I laughed a lot, which is always a good reason to like a film.

Bottom line: if you really want to see a chick flick in the theater right now, then this would be a good one. But, if not, then save your $10 and go see a summer blockbuster and rent this one on DVD.

No comments: