Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Foot

As you probably know by now, I had foot surgery last Thursday. I had a heel spur that has been bothering me for a sweet forever and after nine injections in my foot (five of cortisone and four of something else) and no relief, the doctor decided it was time he cut that sucker out. I was glad too because I really was tired of being in pain every time I walked somewhere and walking is essential for getting around for most folks if you didn’t know.

So, last Thursday I went under the knife as they say. I was awake for the procedure as the doctor only numbed the foot. As you can imagine being awake during the surgery was really bizarre. The surgery itself only took about 10 or 15 minutes. The doctor was running late because of another surgery and then when he but the Novocain in my foot (I’m surprised I didn’t kick him in the face during this not so fun moment) I had to wait 20 minutes for my foot to go numb. Having a numb foot is a very strange feeling.

Once the surgery finally got under way, I could feel the doctor and two nurses tugging on my foot and leg and sawing down that pesky heel spur. I felt no pain though, which is most important. The doctor took an x-ray after he filed the spur and had to go back in and file some more two different times before he got it all – it was a doozie! Here are the before and after x-rays.

This first x-ray is the before shot. Can you see the little hook at the bottom of my heel? That’s the spur and what I have been walking on for who knows how long. It caused me a lot of pain.

This second x-ray shows the spur is gone and just like I am supposed to, I have a flat heel.

After the surgery my parents took me to get my prescriptions of pain medicine and anti-biotic filled and then we went and got a burger from Five Guys (yum!). We then picked up the medicines and headed back to their house. The Tide and I stayed with them for a few days while I recuperated. There was a lot of blood the first day – more than I ever thought there would be. The blood soaked through all the bandages and through my sock. I had to wear a plastic bag on my foot that night when I slept so that I would ruin the sheets. Actually I didn’t have to, but did to be courteous to my hosts.

All bandaged up and keeping ice on it.

On Friday morning, I woke up early as I always do and moved myself and The Tide into my parents den to watch talk radio on TV. At around 7:30 my dad got up and asked me if I was hungry. My reply was “Yes!” He said he was going to fix some pancakes. An hour and a half later, I was still hungry and without food so I got up and fixed myself an egg sandwich. This doesn’t sound very appetizing now nor did it then but folks I was hungry and just could wait any longer. Apparently my dad had gotten involved in playing a game on the internet or something and forgot about those pancakes he said he was going to make. Sometime during the day my mom suggested I use her old walker to get around the house and I pulled it out of the closet and put it to good use. I meant to ask them to take a photo of me using it but never did. It was a pretty funny sight if I do say so myself. Friday night my parents had a Christmas party for the church they attend and so I was fed thanks to the good folks at Hampton Cove Church of Christ. They even helped me fix my plate.

On Saturday morning I again rose before the rest of the house and piled my pillows, phone, etc. on a blanket and drug it behind me as I made my way to the den. At some point during the day, the walker became history and was replaced by a walking cane that my granddad had in the trunk of his car. I’m still using it today and have now tied a silk scarf to it at the request of Candy. We think this is funny because a lot of elderly ladies do that. My dad finally cooked those promised pancakes and my mom cooked dinner so I didn’t have to fend for myself much on Saturday.

Sunday I made it out to church for both services and wore pink socks with my dress. I honestly didn’t care how ridiculous it looked. I was without make-up too because I didn’t even think to bring any but could have used some because my face has decided to break out thanks to the high dosage of anti-biotic. I also forgot to bring a coat and had to borrow one from my mom. I really liked it. Mother, if you decide to get rid of that coast remember me, your daughter, the eldest of your brood.

The pink socked foot

Monday morning The Tide and I headed back to our own home and my dad came with us to help me unload the car and also went to the doctor with me. The doctor said everything is healing like it should be. My foot is really bruised and disgusting looking and I now have to change the bandage twice a day which is less than pleasant for someone like me who can hardly stand the sight of blood; but, I’m making due I guess. I get two stitches out on the 16th and the rest will be removed a week after that which means that for Christmas I can take a shower! I absolutely cannot wait! Taking a bath with one foot out of the tub is difficult, especially at my house where my bathtub is smaller than the one at my folks’.

Today I’m back at work and I think it took me about 30 minutes to walk from my car to my desk. My boss told me I can email HR and ask about parking in handicapped parking and I think I’m going to do just that because the walk from where I normally park to my desk is about 3/10 of a mile or so and any distance I can shave off of that would be much appreciated.

So, that’s the update on the foot. Hopefully I will be back at the gym and walking about before too long but for now, I’m keeping my feet propped up and trying to take it easy.


Erika said...

Wow - that Xray of the spur looks like it would hurt...ouch!
I'm glad you are healing nicely, and glad your parents were able to take care of you for a few days!

Alison said...

Ouchie! I hope you get better really, really fast. That looks like it hurt! ;)

Kimberly Washer said...

All I you want for Christmas is a full on shower!! I sure hope that wish comes true!! Glad you are doing well! I was talking to my sis the other day and she asked if I knew you had foot surgery and of course I said I did, but I hadn't heard how it went yet. Now I can tell her :). She's jealous we are blog friends!

Candy said...

I've never seen a heel spur before! Looks super painful. Glad they were able to help you. The picture of your bloody foot on ice made me squirm. Happy to hear that your cane now has a old lady scarf! I want to see a picture haha