Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Voices of the Faithful - Book Review


Well folks, Christmas is in just three days! Three days, can you believe it? It seems just like yesterday that we were celebrating the beginning of 2010 and soon we will be celebrating the beginning of 2011.

I hope all of you have finished your Christmas shopping; but, if not I have a last minute gift idea for some of the ladies on your list. As you may recall, I made it a goal to be a daily Bible reader in 2010 and with the exception of a few days here and there, I have been completely successful and by the time December 31 rolls around, I will have read the whole Bible front to cover in 2010 and next year I plan to do the same thing.

Some people, however, had rather read a daily devotional rather than a long passage from the Bible and that’s where today’s last minute gift idea comes in to play. I received a copy of “Voices of the Faithful – Inspiring Stories of Courage from Christians Serving around the World”. The book is obviously a compilation of stories which were put together by Kim P. Davis. The book is introduced by Beth Moore who, as you may know, has written a lot of Christian books and studies for women.

What drew me to this book was that each of the stories are written by people who are serving God all across the world – missionaries who are in foreign fields bringing people to Christ. That’s encouraging in and of itself; and, as you may know, I have a lot of friends in the mission field (Caroline, Allison, Kimberly) and this book makes me think of them as well.



There is one devotional reading for each day that starts off with a scripture and then a story by one of the missionaries. There is a theme for each month of the year:

January: God’s Character
February: God’s Word
March: Prayer
April: God’s Grace
May: Witnessing
June: Persecution
July: God Working
August: Contentment
September: God Before Me
October: Spiritual Warfare
November: Compassion
December: Christmas Around the World

This devotional book would be a great gift for the Christian woman on your Christmas list – especially someone who enjoys reading stories and being inspired by the work of others. It’s available at Amazon for less than $12; but if you need it right away, I’m sure you can find it at the local book store of your choice.

This book review was written in coordination with my association with BookSneeze. All reviews are my own opinion. I was not paid for this review, however I did receive a free copy of the book.

No comments: