Saturday, July 16, 2011

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane

Well, I’ve made it to the airport and am sitting around waiting on my flight to Atlanta. By the time I post this I probably will already be in Atlanta. I’m taking some time to write while in Huntsville because it passes the time faster and there is no tour coverage on the televisions here.

My day started early, getting up around 5:30 to strip the sheets from the bed and wash them along with a few other laundry items that needed to get done. I finished up the cleaning as well and also took a shower – always a good thing. Courtney came over around 8:30 and I showed her where the dog food and other items of necessity are. My dad arrived around 9:00 to bring me to the airport. Surprisingly I didn’t cry when I left The Tide behind. I did tear up some earlier in the week but not today. I think she will be in good hands with Courtney and hopefully she will be on good behavior. I sure am going to miss that dog. Wonder if she will be happy to see me when I return?

So, now here I am at the airport. It took all of 15 minutes to get through security here in Huntsville and I still have about 45 minutes until my flight leaves. I bought a cup of soup from McAlister’s because the cereal I had earlier today had left me. I would LOVE a sweet tea but I would not love to have to pee every 15 minutes on the way to France and the people next to me don’t want that either. So, I’ll limit my beverage intake for the time being.

I’m picking back up in Atlanta. I’ve made it here where the time is currently 15 minutes until 2:00. My flight doesn’t leave until 5:45 – four hours from now. I will have to find something to do between now and then which may or may not include taking a nap on the floor. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve ever slept in this airport. I’ve got my phone shut off and on the charger so that I can have a full battery up until the time I leave.

The flight from Huntsville to here was uneventful, which is a good thing. It left at 11:00 and I finally headed over to the gate at 17 minutes until 11:00 – after I posted the Harry Potter review and made a pit stop. After boarding, we sat on the runway for 20 minutes which was every bit as boring as it sounds. I was supposed to have seat 6A – a window seat, but some guy was sitting there and I didn’t feel like causing a ruckus and making him get up. It’s not worth it sometimes, especially for a 35 minute flight. So, I had the aisle seat and was able to stretch out my knee which along with my back is bothering me today. Getting old is rough, people. (A guy just walked by listening to his music and rapping out loud – I love people watching). There were no drinks on the flight, which was a bummer because I was thirsty for a Diet Coke. There were snacks, however and I grabbed a pack of Biscoff, which are some of the best cookies ever! I saved them to snack on later.

So, we finally arrived in Atlanta at 1:00 Eastern time and now I am just sitting around waiting for the flight to Paris where I will catch my next flight to Lyon. There are lots of military men walking around. I suppose there are women too but I have only noticed the men. I guess there are so many in this area since this is where the international flights are. I’m hungry and was planning to wait until 2:30 to eat, but that plan may get pushed up by a few minutes because my stomach tells me so.

The internet service here at the airport isn’t free! The service in Huntsville was and there is limited free service here for weather, Atlanta attractions and other boring things. I’m going to check out the prices and if it’s not too steep then I will go ahead and post this; otherwise it will have to wait until I get on the plane – don’t they have free internet service on planes these days? I really don’t know because before today I had not flown in seven years – it’s an exciting life I lead. So, hopefully I can get this posted and then the next time I post it will be from across the pond. Bon Voyage mes amis!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Yay! I can't wait to hear of your adventures! Good luck and smooth flying! ;D Remind me to tell you about the time I flew near a guy who made balloon animals most of the way to England. Squeak, squeak, squeak for hours. Have fun!