Friday, July 15, 2011

A Little Redemption

And so the story of the cafeteria continues; although today’s story isn’t all bad. As mentioned yesterday, I had plans to eat in the cafeteria for lunch yesterday since there are no leftovers at home and I wasn’t in the mood for a frozen dinner. I headed down at lunch time to see what they had to offer. All the food looked very good and I had a hard time deciding between the chicken teriyaki stir fry and a roast beef, blue cheese and caramelized onion wrap. Pricilla, my friend who works in the cafeteria, said the chicken was good I should try that and so I did. It was delicious. My one complaint was that there wasn’t enough because I think I could have eaten another helping and I was hungry again before I left work for the day. The total for rice, chicken, a side of broccoli and a tasteless roll with terrible fake butter along with a drink was $6.85. The old place would have been around $5.00.

So, basically the meals have gone up between a dollar to two dollars depending on what you get and with the economy the way it is, no one wants to pay those prices. Needless to say, there continue to be complaints and the cafeteria sees fewer and fewer patrons each day. In an effort to redeem themselves, they offered everyone free coffee – I don’t think it really worked. They did, however, have milk stocked at lunch yesterday. Good for them.

Today is the first official day of my vacation as I am at home trying to get the house clean and finishing up the packing. I’m also heading to the gym this morning and will be paying a visit to the Succubus for a mani/pedi and eyebrow waxing. Later this evening, Jackie and I have plans to go see the final Harry Potter movie. I can’t believe it’s the last one. It’s so sad; the end of an era; but, I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I had plans to mow the lawn. I was planning to wait until about 6:00 to start, but around 5:15 the sun starting hiding behind some clouds and I figured I had better go ahead and get that party started. I went outside and pulled the mower out but couldn’t get it to start. I called the man who had repaired it for me and he was out and about so he stopped by and with one pull got it started. I must have subconsciously been trying to get out of it. I got the back mowed and then did the front. I had planned to mow the back again and bag the grass (it was so tall I couldn’t get it bagged on round one) but there was so much and it was a little damp so bagging it was pretty much out of the question. So, I just went over it again hoping it would chop up some of the loose grass.

When I was done/exhausted/hot/thirsty, I rounded up The Tide and took her to get her nails trimmed. Those thing were looking like talons. While at Petsmart, it started lightening, thindering and threatening a big storm. After she was all done we stopped by Rave so I could pick up the tickets for tonight’s HP movie. Just as I got in the car, the bottom fell out. It was raining so hard I almost pulled over to wait it out. The streets were flooded and I could hardly see a thing in front of me. Luckily, we made it home unscathed and ran inside to take shelter from the storm. There were puddles in the yard when I got home and I was so thankful that the yard work was done.

Changing subjects again, my college roomy Melissa made a suggestion that cooking in the car should resume. This thought has already crossed my mind and come August, I’ve got some experimental car cooking up my sleeve for your reading pleasure. I’m sure August will bring the heat so it will be a prime opportunity to whip up something fun.

Tomorrow morning I’m heading out across the pond. My flight leaves Huntsville at 11:00 a.m. and I will go from here to Atlanta where I will have a dreaded five hour layover. I hope to do some blogging from there because I’m sure there will be plenty of entertaining people to write about. I don’t think I’ve mentioned, but my friend from church, Courtney, is staying at my house while I’m gone. She’ll be looking after things, including The Tide. It gives me a huge peace of mind and I’m so thankful to her for helping me out.

And with that, I’ll wrap things up for today and get back to the cleaning and errand running. Hope everyone has a great Friday and I hope to be back with you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Those prices seem a little steep for workplace cafeteria....Do you think there will be any protests??? Haha Maybe they should have offered free doughnuts with that coffee...
Good luck getting all your "doings done" today. I'm glad you were able to get the yard mowed before it started raining.
Have fun at Harry Potter tonight, and very safe travels to you!!!
I will miss you :)

jackie said...

I am so excited about the movie tonight I can hardly stand it!! I also can't wait for you to go on this trip so I can see and hear about everything you do. Gonna miss you girl!