Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Musings from the Weekend

How was everyone's weekend? Overall, mine was rather uneventful, but I did manage to get some things done around the house so I would consider that a success. 

Friday after work, Jackie came over for a bit and we just hung out and caught up because it had been a while since either of us had really had a moment to sit down and talk with one another. She had to leave for an hour or so to pick up her boss from the airport, but then came back and stayed until about 10:00 because apparently we turn into pumpkins at that time and we were both ready for bed.
 
Saturday morning I managed to get some much needed cleaning done around the house. Sadly, with Pippa around, things don't stay clean for very long. I also knocked out some laundry and once again got caught up on the DVR. I had made tentative plans to go see Lone Survivor that morning and then pushed it back to the 1:00 p.m. showing. About 11:00 a.m. I got a text from Jackie asking if I wanted to see it at 7:10 because some of our friends from church were going at that time and they had messaged her on facebook about it. So, I decided I would wait until that time and go with the group so as not to be anti-social.
 
I met up with Jackie beforehand for dinner at I Love Sushi. Dinner was fantastic as always. I ordered a new sushi roll called Pink Passion and I seriously haven't stopped thinking about it since. It was divine! Our friends had met at Chili's and I had a sneaking suspicion that they might not make it out of the restaurant in time to meet up with us. My suspicion turned to fact as our friends didn't get their checks at the restaurant until after 7:00 p.m. and so they all ended up going to see the 7:45 p.m. showing of the same movie. 
 
Lone Survivor was absolutely riveting. I am a lover of war movies and this one looked incredible. I had a feeling it was going to be extremely graphic because of one of the review blurbs on the preview they showed on TV and then when the opening credits came on and I saw that Peter Berg had directed it (for some reason I didn't know this), I knew I was in for a gruesome ride. It was extremely raw and graphic but just so amazingly good as well. There were a few times when the guys fell off cliffs or were rolling down a mountain that I had to close my eyes and Jackie had to close her eyes in a lot of places too, but it was just so, so good. If you can handle to blood and gore and you like a good war movie, then yes, go see it because it was incredible. I have heard from a  couple of different people that the book is good also so I might attempt to read it at some point. It is, in fact, based on a true story.
 
Sunday was church, lunch, and then a trip to the grocery store. I then made a pie for our Downton viewing party at Erika's. She was gracious enough to once again open her home to me and Kendra to watch our favorite show. This makes watching so much better since I'm not fighting off a puppy the whole hour. Kendra made a delicious spinach and chicken Alfredo dish and we had my pie for dessert. It was a lovely visit despite the fact that the episode was super shocking! Did y'all watch?
 
So, it was a productive weekend, yet relaxing all the same, which is just perfect as far as weekends go.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

That movie was amazing. Thanks so much for basically babysitting me this past weekend. You're the best!