Tuesday, March 18, 2014

An Early Birthday Bash

This past Saturday, we threw an early birthday bash for my mom. Her actual birthday is March 26, but my dad, brother and I will all be in Hawaii. So, we decided to throw her a big party before we left. Mother will be 60 this year, but I have to say, she doesn't look that old. I guess she's had a good life.

My dad and I began the planning in January and tossed around various ideas about what we wanted to do and where we wanted to have the party. We finally decided on having the party at their house and Mother gave me a list of people to invite.

I finally got around to ordering and sending out invitations and I'm so thankful that some of Mother's favorite people were able to come to the party. I bought some decorations and on the day of picked up some fresh flowers. Jackie was a good friend and came over early to help me decorate. Since we had all been at Mrs. Irma's funeral earlier in the day, we were in a time crunch to get things done. The cake arrived around 2:00 p.m., we got the decorations up and I managed to change out of my funeral clothes and into something more comfortable before the guests arrived.

In addition to Jackie, some of Mother's closest high school friends came to the party as well as friends who we all used to go to church with and my grandparents. My favorite aunt, Linda, was there and brought her famous macaroni and cheese and my cousin Brittany and Syndey came as well. It was a really great group of people.

We had BBQ, potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans, the aforementioned mac and cheese and BBQ bread to eat. It was all very good! The cake was made by my co-worker Meri and was white chocolate raspberry and was absolutely delicious. It was also very pretty. The cake got a lot of compliments, as did the other food.

Mother got some very nice gifts, but mostly she was blessed to be around family and friends she loves and who love her. I'm thankful we were able to have this celebration in honor of my mother! Happy Birthday, Mamma! I hope you have many, many more!





No comments: