Friday, March 28, 2014

A Helicopter Ride in Kauai

Thursday morning around 8:00 a.m. we arrived on the island of Kauai. This was one of the days I was most looking forward to as I had a helicopter ride scheduled for the day. Justin and my dad had a trip to Waiemea Canyon planned and so we would be parting ways.

After breakfast the two men headed out to meet their tour and I was able to shower and take my sweet time getting ready because I didn’t have to be outside until 10:15 a.m. I could have done some shopping or something beforehand, but then I would have to bring everything back to the ship before leaving so I just decided to hang out in the room until time to go outside.

The van picked me and four others up right one time and took us to the helicopter offices. There we signed in and received a safety demonstration before being taken over to the helipad at the airport. I had opted for the helicopter with no doors so I was very excited! There were four people plus the pilot per ride and I rode with three people from England.

The ride began at 11:00 a.m. and lasted an hour which wasn’t nearly long enough. There was so much to see. We flew over numerous waterfalls and trough canyons and valleys. We also flew over the ocean and along the coastline and even saw whales in the water. All of the sights were gorgeous and it was so much fun. I couldn’t believe it when the hour was up. It went by so quickly!

We were taken back to the ship and I walked to some shops that were close by and then walked back to the pier and caught the shuttle to Kmart. I needed some Clariton D as I had taken my last one that morning. I bought a couple of things I needed, but Kmart did not have the Clariton since there was no pharmacy there. There was, however, a drug store nearby so I walked there and got what I needed and then caught the shuttle back to the boat.

My dad had text me while I was at Kmart and long story short, I ran into he and my brother as I was walking back in to the pier. He had been trying to get in touch with me to see if I wanted to join them for the second half of their tour (they had been brought back to the ship for their lunch before the second half of the tour. So, I decided to go since I didn’t have anything else going on. I ran inside the ship, up to the 11th floor, grabbed a sandwich off the buffet and ran back outside and off we went.

The second half of the tour was visiting a waterfall which I had seen from up above earlier in the day and then taking a boat ride to a fern grotto. It was a nice trip and we were entertained on the boat ride with some Hawaiian music and hula.

We made it back to the ship around 5:30 p.m. and soon after we went to dinner. We have been requesting the same waitress, Ritz, every night. She is a Filipino lady from Washington state and she is great. We have really enjoyed visiting with her each night.

After dinner, Justin went to the room, showered, and soon commenced to snoring while my dad and I went to see the show for the evening which was okay. We only have one more day on the ship and two more days in Hawaii! It’s hard to believe our time here is almost up, but it sure has been fun!


Erika said...

Everything is so pretty from up above! Glad you are having a good time!

Jackie said...

Awesome pics! Glad you enjoyed yourself.