Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Last Summer Wedding for 2014

I woke up Saturday morning about 6:00 a.m. and basically moved from the bed to the couch. I spent the rest of the morning napping on and off and watching shows from the DVR and then golf. I did manage to at least leave my house for about 30 minutes to fill the car up with gas and get a pizza for lunch. 

About 2:30 I dragged myself off the couch and got ready for my friend Jay's wedding. It was the fourth and final summer of 2014 wedding I would attend. Jay and I used to work together until he moved on to greener pastures almost a year ago. Well, it may have been over a year ago at this point. I seriously lose track of time. Jay and I have stayed in touch since he left and I was so glad to get his wedding invitation in the mail. He and Krislyn had dated for about four years and we used to tease him quite often about popping the big question. 

A while back, I had asked Nevin if he would go with me to the wedding. I knew that I would not know a whole lot of people other than the handful of work friends that would be going and so he graciously agreed to go with me. Nevin came by a little before 3:30 p.m. and we were soon on our way for the 4:00 p.m. wedding which was held at a church downtown close to my house.  The church was small and quaint, quite a contrast from the other weddings I've attended recently.

The ceremony was supposed to start at 4:00 p.m., but didn't actually get started until almost 4:30 p.m. Jay looked handsome and Krislyn looked beautiful, as it should be. The ceremony was short and sweet, lasting all of about 15 minutes. The most interesting part of it all was when Jay and Krislyn jumped the broom. Beforehand, the minister told the history behind it - how slaves were not afforded the privilege of a legal marriage and so they jumped over a broom to indicate a commitment to each other. The grandmothers swept away the floor (indicating a sweeping away of the past), then placed the broom on the floor and Jay and Krislyn took the big jump. It was a nice way to end a lovely service. 

The reception was across the street at the Roundhouse Depot. The room was decorated beautifully. There were appetizers and drinks for everyone to snack on while the wedding party was taking photos. Soon after the couple arrived, the entire wedding party was announced and the first dances took place. Jay and his mother really cut a rug during their dance. It was such fun to watch. The dinner was finally brought out and I loved that Krislyn's dad said a prayer to bless the food before dinner. We had greens, shrimp and grits, steamed veggies, wild rive, chicken and cornbread. Everything was really good. 

Not long after dinner, Jay and Krislyn cut the cake. I had a piece of the bride's cake which looked beautiful and tasted good. Nevin and I as well as my co-workers all left soon after. We had all been at the reception for a couple of hours and the dancing hadn't even started. I think we were all tired and ready to hit the road. 

It was a fun night with friends celebrating the love and union of two lovely people. Here's to wishing Jay and Krislyn all the best!





1 comment:

Erika said...

Sounds like a lovely ceremony.
You looked very pretty btw!