Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Color Run - Huntsville - 2014

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I did The Color Run on Saturday morning and so, I am here to tell you all about it.

I have wanted to do a Color Run for quite a while and almost signed up for one in Nashville last year, but it was on a Sunday and just didn't work with my schedule. So, when I found out from a co-worker that The Color Run was FINALLY coming to Huntsville, I signed up the first day that entries were taken. I was looking so froward to it. The Color Run is nicknamed "The Happiest 5K on the Planet" and it it not a timed race so you can, walk, skip, hop or run, whatever strikes your fancy. The point of it all is to get people moving and have fun! Throughout the race, there are color stations where people will toss corn starched color on you and by the end of the race, the point is to be covered in color.

The start line opened at 9:00 a.m. and I arrived downtown about 8:30 or so. I left my phone in the car because the information sheet said that the color could get in your phone and if you were to bring your phone, put it in a plastic baggie. I wish I had brought it to take some pre-race photos and then bagged it up for the race; but, alas, I left it in the car the whole time.

After a quick bathroom break at Publix (thanks, Publix!) I made my way to the start line, but not before taking in the crowds and all the crazy people out and about. Most everyone was wearing white so that their color would show up once the race was over, but a lot of people also had crazy colored wigs or tutus or socks to accompany their outfits. I did not. I thought about wearing my pink tutu, but then decided against it because I didn't want to get color all over it.

Since I had never done one of these runs before, I really didn't know what to expect. So, I was taken off guard when I realized that not everyone starts at the same time. The let a few hundred or so people go and then hold the line for another five minutes or so. I am guessing this is so there won't be a backlog at the color stations. I had forgotten to eat that morning and so I was really hungry and wishing 1,000 times over that I had remembered to grab a granola bar and also praying I wouldn't pass out from low blood sugar and also wishing that my group would get to the start line quickly.

I don't know what time I made it across the start line but it had to be 9:30 or 9:45. I was so glad to finally be on my way. The way they do it makes sense thought because y'all, there were so many people. I'm quite sure there were more people at this race than the Liz Hurley Race and there are 5,000 or so at that race. There were people who clearly never do any sort of races and there were plenty of people walking. The craziest thing of all was that despite there being so many people there I did not see one person I knew which is nuts because I typically always run into one or two people who I know.

The race was fun. I know it would have been a lot more fun if I had been doing it with a group of friends and also if I had been feeling better. I almost didn't go that morning because of how bad I felt, but powered through and I'm glad I did. I know one thing, I need to add some more cardio to my routine. I get plenty of strength conditioning with JD the PT, but I have got to get back to walking more because I was so ready for those three miles to be over. The color stations were great, although there was a backlog of people at each color station so you had to wait your turn to go though and get "splashed". The poor people who were throwing color on people were covered head to toe in color. I felt so bad for them.

When I got home, I sprayed my shirt with vinegar and ironed it which is what you were supposed to do to keep the color on it. Sadly, after I washed it, all the color came out. I was hoping the color would stay in; but I guess I will be able to wear that shirt for the next Color Run.

Long story short, I'm really glad I did the race and if it comes to Huntsville again, I will definitely do it again. Although, I will probably try to recruit some friends to join me so it will be that much more fun. If The Color Run comes to your area, be sure and sign up. You'll be glad you did.


No comments: