Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Biltmore Girls Trip - Part One

I had the privilege of a weekend getaway this past weekend. Some of my favorite girlfriends and I hit the road early Friday morning and headed east to North Carolina for a trip to the Biltmore. I had never been to the Biltmore before, but quite a few friends had told me I needed to go. So, when we found out that the Biltmore was hosting a Downton Abbey costume exhibit, we made plans to attend as soon as we could.

We had originally thought about staying in Gatlinburg for the weekend and driving over to Asheville for the day on Saturday. The parents of one of the girls who went (Amber) had a time share and one of the locations they could choose from was Lake Lure, NC which is about an hour away from the Biltmore and they let us have it for the weekend which was super nice of them.

Four of us left from Huntsville on Friday morning around 8:00 and we met up with our friend Katie in Knoxville for lunch at Chipotle before continuing on to Lake Lure. Amber had directions from the resort and also from Google Maps and she took us in the Google Maps way. In the words of Leah, I perfected the three-point turn that day because we had to turn around and reroute ourselves on more than one occasion. The roads Google Maps took us down were a little frightening at times. Some were not paved, others were not plowed and were basically a solid sheet of ice and snow and all of them were curvy I think it goes without saying that I was thrilled when we reached our destination.


The name of the resort where we stayed was Rumbling Bald - I cannot make this stuff up, y'all. We had a two story condo with plenty of room for the five us us and more. There were two bathrooms, plenty of beds and pull out couches and a kitchen and a kitchenette. It was right on a golf course where I saw no one shooting for par.


Friday after arriving, we got settled in and then looked on Trip Adviser for a place to eat dinner, We left the condo and first found a grocery store where we rented a movie at the Red Box and bought a few things to eat for breakfast the next morning. We then decided to eat dinner at Larkin's on the Lake which was more or less the only restaurant open for miles. The off season is not conducive for a lot of dinner choices.

The dinner was good and hit the spot after a long journey. We then went back to the condo and watched the movie we had chosen earlier and I actually went to bed before it was over as I had seen it before and was tired and could hardly keep my eyes open. It was an enjoyable first day to our weekend getaway.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I do not like that photo of your car on the ice!! scary!
I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip.