Monday, March 9, 2015

Ice and Rain

Just when I started hoping that we were done with the winter weather, we were hit with a mini ice storm of sorts. It started late Wednesday night with rain and then turned to sleet early Thursday morning. I smartly elected to stay home because it wasn't long before the roads were a solid sheet of ice and I didn't want to wreck, get injured, die or get stuck at my work place for the night. Thankfully, I had the good sense to bring my computer home with me on Wednesday and was able to get some work done while I was at home. 

It sleeted for most of the morning, followed by rain which quickly turned to ice once it hit the ground because of the low temps. When it was all over, I easily had and and come back  inch or more of ice in the yard. Thankfully I didn't lose electricity and I had food on hand so I didn't go hungry either. Truth be told, I actually enjoyed the day at home and was able to get quite a bit of work done, even with Pippa staring at the computer screen. 

Friday my workplace didn't open until 10:00 a.m. and I had already planned to leave at 2:00 p.m. to go on the senior high fall retreat with my church youth group. I went out around 9:15 to warm up the car and remove the ice from the windshield, etc. Being the graceful person I am, I fell and landed on my knee (yes, the one that was operated on just a couple of months ago). Then about 9:40 a.m. I headed out and after slipping and sliding all over the road and seeing three wrecks within a mile of my house, I made the decision to turn around and go back home. I wasn't willing to take the risk to go to work for just four hours. 

Now, after a beautiful weekend, we are stuck with at least five straight days of rain. My yard is already so muddy and I fear there is no end in sight. I am so ready for some sunny days and dry land and nice evenings that are prime for taking a walk. Between all the snow and the continuous rain I can hardly remember what a dry day looks like. Fingers crossed, we'll have some nice spring days and evenings before too long!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I am SO READY for spring and sunshine!!!