Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Streak of Good Fortune

I don't know why or what happened, but I've had a streak of good fortune these last 24 hours and so I thought I should tell you about it.

It started around 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday night. Let me preface this by saying I am not the best driver; just ask my dad. For starters, he's not a great driver either and he's the one that taught me to drive. I've also got my mother's lead foot. I try to be more aware and do a better job when I have others in the car with me, but when I'm by myself I don't always do so great. Afternoons are the worst because I'm terribly tired when I get off work and often my eyelids want to start closing on the 12 mile drive home.

So, back to last night,.. I had a couple of errands to run after work and had finally finished up and headed home. I exited off the interstate and was looking at the sky thinking about how it kind of looked like it might rain, but rain wasn't forecasted. Then I started thinking about my cousin Greer's soccer game and wondering how it turned out. The next thing I knew, I was driving right through a red light and a car was crossing the intersection. Y'all it is nothing short of a miracle that I did not get T-boned. The other driver slammed on their brakes, I swerved and kept driving. I drove as fast as I could to get home. My heart was racing so fast and my nerves were shot. When I got to my house, I ran inside and thanked the Lord he was watching over me because that is the only reason I survived.

The good fortune continued when this morning I got an email that I had sold some concert tickets I have been trying to sell for a few months. I bought tickets for Jason Isbell at The Ryman for October 24 and 25. Then he booked a show in Huntsville. So, I decided to sell the tickets for the 25th because it's on a Sunday and I don't want to be tired at work the next day. I listed the tickets on Stub Hub months ago and last week asked my college roommate (who lives in Nashville) to list them on facebook. She actually contacted me on Tuesday night to see if I would take $100 for them because someone had offered that. I said sure and the girl contacted me and I emailed her back. This morning I got the notice on Stub Hub that they had sold for $300. Thankfully Tuesday night's seller hadn't paid yet or emailed me back for that matter. So, I emailed her and said sorry, they had sold on Stub Hub.

Later in the day, I got an email from the tuition payment service that UNA uses saying my last two tuition payments for this semester had been adjusted and when I logged on to look, my next two payments are $150 less than originally scheduled. I had gotten an email some time ago that the MBA tuition had been calculated incorrectly, but I didn't think it would apply to mine because when I had called during the summer, the estimate they had given me matched what I was paying. So, I just assumed all was good, but in fact, my had also been calculated incorrectly and now I will have $300 to spend on other bills which is a big help considering I just bought glasses, contacts, and took Pip to the bet.

Right before I left work for the day, I stopped by the restroom and found a one dollar bill on the floor. It's not much, but, hey, the streak of good fortune was continuing.

The last thing that happened was Wednesday night after class at church. We had a teacher's meeting and were told that beginning in November Wednesday night services are going to be at 6:30 p.m. They are making the announcement to the congregation on Sunday. Y'all, I cannot tell you how exciting that is! The thing I dislike the most about Wednesday night service is that it starts at 7:00 p.m. and it's so late when I get home. Now, I'll be home before 8:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and that makes me so very happy.

I don't know what I did to cause this streak of good fortune, but I'm really grateful for the past 24 hours. Most of all, I'm thankful the good Lord was with me in my car on Tuesday night and mamma, I don't need any emails telling me to drive safer, I think I got the message!

3 comments:

Erika said...

You are the luckiest person I have ever met :)

Seriously - SO thankful you were not injured or the ppl in the other car. That is the worst feeling in the entire world...I know you were glad to get home.

6:30 is the perfect time for Wednesday services! that extra 30 minutes makes a huge difference.

Erika said...

You are the luckiest person I have ever met :)

Seriously - SO thankful you were not injured or the ppl in the other car. That is the worst feeling in the entire world...I know you were glad to get home.

6:30 is the perfect time for Wednesday services! that extra 30 minutes makes a huge difference.

Candy said...

Do you play the lottery??? Maybe now is the time ;)
So glad you weren't hurt!! I don't want to visit you in the hospital unless you're having a baby!