Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Adam's Baptism

Just when you think you’ve said goodbye for good, fate intervenes. Monday night I was out and about running errands to kill some time before I met my aunt Linda and our visitation group for dinner at Logan’s when I received a call. The call was from a lady at church telling me that Adam Goode was going to be baptized at (what we now refer to as) the old building and that he wanted me to be there.


So, I headed home, changed clothes, and grabbed my camera and a few minutes later headed to “the old building.”

Adam Goode is 16 years old. I have known him since he was conceived and was at the hospital the day he was born – wearing my Winn-Dixie cashier’s uniform no doubt since I had to be at work later that day. My parents have known Adam’s parents since before I was born, and Adam’s parents have been like another set of parents to me. I like to think of Adam as my younger brother, although if you ask him, he won’t agree to that statement – maybe I’m embarrassing?






I am so happy for Adam and his decision and also for his parents. I know how proud they are of him. I certainly am! I was so thankful that Adam was able to be baptized at “the old building.” What a wonderful note to end an era.








I couldn’t help but think of my own brother during this time; and if you are familiar with my brother and his struggles in life, then you will know that it was very emotional for me. My brother was baptized in that same baptistery and this baptism brought me back to that day.








I am thankful; not only for Adam’s decision, but also that his decision gave me one more opportunity to walk through the doors of a place I hold so dear to my heart.







To top it off, some folks sat in “their pews” for a last minute impromptu photo opportunity. Here they are:





Jim and Irma - they've sat here for about 50 years - they were founding members of Memorial Parkway.




My parents - my mother usually wears real clothes and not a robe to church in case you were wondering.

No comments: