Monday, November 23, 2009

Tony's Christmas: A Bust!





I don’t know about you, but I tend to put a lot of thought into my Christmas shopping. I take into consideration the person I am buying for and what their likes and dislikes are. I also try to listen to them throughout the year and pick up on things they say they like or would like to have. Not to brag, but I think I am a pretty good gift giver, and have even been told so; which brings me to today’s rant.

Tony loves The Beatles, who doesn’t? Unless you live under a rock, then you probably know that all The Beatles albums were digitally remastered this year and released on September 9, including a box set of all the albums. Knowing that Tony loves The Beatles, I decided to get this for him for Christmas. Also knowing that Tony is the most impatient, I gotta have it now, type of person that he is, I told him, “If you decide to buy this for yourself, please let me know so that I won’t buy it for you for Christmas.” After all, who wants to buy someone something that they already have? What’s the point; unless they need and asked for another one just like the other one?

So, to my knowledge, he decided not to get it. Therefore, I ordered it, received it, and wrapped it for him for Christmas. It is at my house, wrapped, let me once again emphasize.

About 30 minutes ago, Tony tells me that he “doesn’t know how this will effect Christmas,” but that he ordered it and it is now on its way to him. Shipped today. Isn’t that great? Needless to say, I was fired up. Not only did he not heed my advice and tell me that he had decided to order it for himself, but now he knows that I got it for him for Christmas. He says he is going to return his, but I’ve a good mind to go ahead and return mine as well. If this were a $20 item, I might not be as fired up as I am right now. But, the fact that this is pretty much the only gift I got him and that I spent approximately $200 on it and that I told him to tell me if he decided to order it and that he knew I was already finished shopping for him makes me so mad I can hardly see straight right now!

Since I think the only people that read this blog are girls, and maybe my dad, I decided to rant for a few minutes. What is it with men? Why do they not listen? Why do they not take your warnings into advisement? Why would they go out and spend $200 on something that they are pretty sure their girlfriend already got them for Christmas? I don’t understand it. And furthermore, while we are on the topic of Christmas, why should we have to tell our boyfriends and husbands what we want for Christmas? Shouldn’t they know us well enough to know what we would like? I have dropped hints over the past few weeks and months of things that I might like to have, and I’m willing to bet that I won’t get one of those things. If anyone ever figures out why men and women have such major communication problems, please write a book about it and share your wisdom with the rest of the world. I assure you it would be a best seller and you will become rich.

Thanks for letting me rant and I hope your Christmas shopping brings you more joy than mine has.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys are stupid. They also don't get hints. You have to tell them point blank what you want. Remember, they are stupid.

Mary McLaughlin said...

I'm sorry that you are frustrated but I certainly understand. Men want us to be clear and you most definitely were. I don't know if it's just that men don't listen or maybe they just can't hear. But this has been happening for centuries! I feel your pain...so now, I just buy my own Christmas presents...that way I get what I want and I don't have to tell him! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Candy said...

Oh men! Yes, I think this is a man thing. My dad has done this numerous times to my mother over the years and I am dealing with it now. No fun! My mom got so frusterated dropping hints with my dad that now she makes a detailed list with pictures. He does pretty good now :) haha

Tony said...

There were a few important details to this story that were left out which might make me not look like such an inconsiderate idiot. But for the sake of men, I will "let it be" (pun intended) as written by Nat and take the beating for all of us men.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tony, please don't go there.

Melissa said...

I am so with you, Nat! I love picking out gifts that I think the receiver will like, and I guess I expect the same out of others. However, I have learned over and over that not all people are 'gift' people. So, although I love to give and receive gifts, not everyone else does. I've resorted to creating wish lists on Amazon with things that I want. I also create wish lists for the kids - helps the family know what to buy.
I think this man/woman difference is just something we have to deal with :) Although - I don't like dealing with it this time of year!