Monday, February 14, 2011

It's February 14



Well, here we are on Valentine’s Day, the most dreaded holiday of all. I am not a fan of Valentine’s Day. Even on the rare year when I am in a relationship on Valentine’s Day, I still find the holiday to be a complete and total waste of time, money and energy. I think it is rather ridiculous that there is a holiday on which you should have to proclaim your love for someone. What about the other 364 days of the year? It seems to me like it’s more important to proclaim and show your love on a day when it isn’t “required” or “expected”. In my humble opinion, Valentine’s Day is just a big ploy by the greeting card, flower and candy companies to get people to spend money that they otherwise would not have spent.

Not to mention all us singletons out there. As if we don’t already feel like big losers because we don’t have a helpmate in life, this day makes us feel like we are worthless pieces of chewing gum spit out onto the sidewalk of life. Erika sent me a nice Valentine card that was titled, “It’s great to be single”. Well, I guess in some cases that can be true but in the grand scheme of things not so much because who wants to spend all of their life without someone to come home to every night. I mean, The Tide is great but she doesn’t carry on the best conversations, you know? When you are single, Valentine’s Day is simply just another reminder that you have no one. (By the way, I’m not knocking the card because it was really nice and she wrote a really nice note on the inside and I am very appreciative of it – didn’t want it to seem otherwise.)

Having said that, I’m not a total scrooge and I did wear some pink today. I’m trying to be at least a little festive and not a complete downer. I’m also helping out a friend.

My friend David wanted to get some roses for his girlfriend for Valentine’s Day. Well, as I’m sure you know since roses are in such high demand on Valentine’s Day, most florists jack up the prices and they can get by with it because men feel pressured and are willing to pay $50 for a dozen roses when just one week ago the same roses were $20. Anyway, David checked around at some of the florists in town and all the prices for roses were more than he was willing to pay. So, he checked with The Fresh Market and they gave him a good price – he is getting two dozen roses for I think $30, maybe $35. I can’t really remember. The Fresh Market is going to arrange the flowers for David; he’s just bringing a vase for them. The problem with this is that The Fresh Market doesn’t deliver and that’s where I come in. I volunteered to deliver the roses to David’s girlfriend at her place of employment so that he wouldn’t have to do it and it would be as though he paid for the flowers to be delivered. I guess actually he is paying for the flowers to be delivered since he is graciously buying my lunch for helping him out. So, see I’m not all boo and hiss!

I also wanted to tell you about a lovely Valentine’s surprise I got in the mail on Friday. I had a card in the mailbox and when I opened the card, it was from none other than my own dog, The Tide. Apparently she is a lover of Valentine’s Day! Who knew? She had a little help from her Aunt Erika who she would like to publicly thank for driving her to the store and helping her sign the card.



In closing, I suppose I will begrudgingly wish you all a happy Valentine’s Day. Whether you are in a relationship or single the most important thing to remember is to love yourself!

5 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

I agree! Valentine's Day is ridiculous! Tell people you love them every day!

So, Happy Valentine's Day!

Jackie said...

Happy V-Day!! The one holiday I truly detest but the kids and I will be celebrating with some gigi's cupcakes tonight so if you want to stop by for one please do!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Love your pretty Valentine background! Valentines Day is never a big deal at our house, probably because we never observed it in any way for the first 20+ years of my life.

Hope you have a great day!

Kimberly Washer said...

Yeah we aren't big V-day celebrators. Gary says he treats everyday like Valentines day, but I don't know about that. I think that is his way of trying to be sweet to get out of buying me something. I don't mind though because the holiday never made me jump up and down or anything.

I'm so glad The Tide got you a card though! So thoughtful!!

Erika said...

I must be the only one who likes Valentine's Day! haha
But then again I've always been a sucker for marketing ploys :)
Glad you liked your card from The Tide!