Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Good Neighbors and Stolen Pumpkins

​I​ had planned on mentioning this last week, but then the week got away from me and next thing I knew it was the week was over and I had not said a word about it. Last Monday (the 14th) I walked out my front door only to discover that the two large pumpkins on my front porch had been stolen. I was not happy. I have had pumpkins stolen before, but usually that happens on Halloween night, long after I've snuffed the candles out of the jack-o-lantern and forgotten to bring it inside. This was the first time that two whole and un-carved pumpkins had been swiped. 

Look, here's how I feel about the situation... if you want some pumpkins for your house and cannot afford the luxury, then just knock on my door and I will give you some cash for pumpkins or even the pumpkins off my porch; just don't steal them though. In reality, it was probably some kids  who stole the pumpkins and they stole my friend Amberly's pumpkins too (she lives about a block down the street). I kept looking in the streets for smashed pumpkins and finally saw one (or two) on Sunday on a road close by and Amberly saw some a few days before that so it seems that the pumpkin thief is up to mischievous ways.

I did buy a new (even larger) pumpkin over the weekend and placed it close to the door so that perhaps it would not get stolen. So far so good.

Totally unrelated, but also not because this too involves Amberly...

Last Saturday after napping because I was worn out from puppy training class, I woke up and checked my email and saw that Amberly was having some people over for the Alabama game and our friend Nevin was going to be cooking up some sliders. Since I had no idea what I was going to make myself for dinner, I sent her a text and told her I was going to come on down. 

At this point in the day, my foot was hurting so badly that I could hardly put pressure on it at all, but I managed to hobble down the street and I'm glad I did. Amberly had made Buffalo Chicken Dip and some delightful spinach dip and also brownies and fruit punch and Nevin started working on those sliders soon after I arrived. The food was delicious and really hit the spot. Midway through the second quarter, I decided to head back home. I really just wanted to spend the evening laying on the couch and being lazy because I had a big day ahead of me on Sunday as well. So, I told everyone goodbye, thanked them for the food and hobbled back home.  

I was so thankful for the invitation and yummy dinner from Amberly. I'm thankful she is right down the street and so glad we have gotten to know each other and have become friends. It's really nice to have neighbors who are also great friends!

No comments: