Monday, October 21, 2013

The 10th Annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run

I had a busy, busy weekend full of activities, friends and fun! Friday night I actually had the night at home and it was nice to just sit and do nothing after a very stressful and chaotic work week. I caught up on some TV shows and dozed in and out of consciousness and thankfully Pippa kept herself occupied and didn't mind me being too exhausted to stay awake all night.

This past Saturday morning was the 10th Annual Liz Hurley Ribbon Run, and if I remember correctly, my fifth year in a row to participate. This year the place where I work put together a "team" if you want to call it that. Some of us signed up under our company name and if the others were like me, they probably thought someone might actually put together a team shirt or something, but that did not happen. In fact, our team "captain" was also supposed to pick up our race packets and she didn't do that either. So, Thursday after work I drove by Fleet Feet to get my packet and also the packet for my co-worker Maria who had asked me to walk with her.   

Saturday morning about 7:30 a.m., Maria came to my house so that we could ride together. The race started at 8:00 a.m. and since we were walking, I figured we would be finished about 9:00 a.m. and had made tentative plans to meet some folks from the church I used to attend for breakfast. This year, the race organizers lined people up according to the following categories: Runners, Joggers, Walkers, and Strollers. I actually thought strollers meant casual strollers, but it meant people with strollers; yet another blonde moment in my life.   

Maria and I arrived plenty of time before the race started and lined up with the walkers. We had grabbed a banana before lining up which wasn't really the best idea because there were no garbage cans to be found. I finally just placed our trash on one of the scissor lifts that the cameras were using. I don't typically litter, but due to the lack of garbage cans and the massive amount of people I was having to fight to move one inch, I just gave up and decided the scissor lift would be a nice spot for the disposal of my banana peel. 

The race finally got underway, and as expected, it took me about an hour to finish. I saw lots of friends, co-workers, family members and acquaintances throughout the morning. The Liz Hurley is one of the biggest races of the year and there were 6,500 entrants this year. As opposed to years' past, this year both men and women raced together. There were, as always, tons of supporters along the way which is always nice to see.

About 1/4 mile from the finish, Maria decided to pick up her pace, but because of my aching foot, I could not and I had a bad feeling about her heading on down the road. My gut feeling was right and I could not locate Maria after the race. In fact, it was nearly 9:40 before I finally caught a glimpse of her bee-bopping along and eating a slice of pizza. I think it goes without saying that I did not make it to my breakfast appointment which was disappointing because I really wanted some bacon, grits and biscuits!

There were tons of great team shirts and outfits again this year, although I didn't get any pictures of them. One team, The Painted Bra Project, all had on bras that were painted and bedazzled - both men and women - and those were the greatest outfits by far. The atmosphere was just as electric and fun as it is year after year and it's a great way to spend the morning for a great cause. 

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You look SO cute!!! Get that foot fixed man. We will be running a 5K if I have to drag you:-)