Saturday, December 7, 2013

Galaxy of Lights Fun Run 2013

This past Tuesday night was the first annual Galaxy of Lights Fun Run and I am so glad I participated because it was such a fun night! I found out about the Fun Run when I picked up my packed for the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run earlier this year and I registered almost immediately. Last year was the first time the Galaxy of Lights 5K was held and the response was so overwhelming that they added the Fun Run this year which was a shorter course for those who might prefer to walk, stroll, skip or jog... in other words, people like me!

The run took place at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens at was slated for a 6:30 p.m. start. They had pictures with Santa at 5:30 p.m. and a tacky holiday sweater contest at 6:00 p.m. I had planned to go to the gardens right after work and in my rush that morning I forgot to grab mine. So, Meri was kind enough to grab one from her mom that afternoon and bring it to me. It was a sweater vest that was very festive, but sadly, not festive enough as I did not win a prize for my tacky sweater. 

We lined up at the start a few minutes before 6:30 p.m. and then the run was underway. There were four spots along the route where you could stop and sing and be entered for a door prize and so I stopped at each of these spots and did a little singing. I have never walked the Galaxy of Lights before and I must say it was so much better than just driving through. I had planned to walk the trail at dog night the week before with Jackie and the kids, but it was cold and raining and so we elected to stay in the warmth of my home instead. There was music playing all throughout the course and it was such a fun environment and it was really nice to be able to enjoy the lights while walking rather than just seeing them as we zip past in a car.

I finished the 1.7 miles in about 35 minutes, stopping along to sing and take a few photos. After I crossed the finish line, I snagged some free pizza, chocolate milk and an ice cream sandwich  because the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was fix dinner. I also wanted to stick around for the door prize drawings which began at 7:15 p.m. There were 70 door prizes so I had my fingers crossed. 

First they announced the winners of the tacky sweater contest which I already mentioned I did not win and then they began the door prize drawings. As luck would have it, my number and name was the first one they pulled out of the box! I won dinner and a movie for two at the Monaco! I was so excited (and still am) because there are a lot of great movies coming out in the next few weeks and I do enjoy going to the movies, especially for free! I stayed for the remainder of the general door prizes and also for the prizes for the singers, all of which were great. The prizes included movies, dinners, and spa treatments. I don't know if the 5K race has door prizes as well, but the prizes at the Fun Run were fabulous! 

It was a fun, fun night and I'm so glad I participated. I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year! 








No comments: