Monday, April 21, 2014

Five Points Farm and Food Trucks on Friday

This past Friday, I had grand plans of heading out to Hazel Green High School for the first round of the state baseball playoffs. My cousin, Jon Mark, is an assistant baseball coach and the team made the playoffs for the first time in 20 years or something crazy like that. Plus, I did go to school at Hazel Green from fourth through 11th grades so it's also kind of like supporting my home team.

The first game was set for 5:00 p.m. and I planned on leaving work at 3:00 p.m. so I could go home and let Pippa run around for a while and then head out to the baseball game. However, as is often the case when I make plans, I got held up and wasn't able to leave work until around 4:30 p.m. At that point, I was tired and I knew I would be late for the game and I wasn't looking forward to a long drive out to the Green and so I made the decision that was best for me which was to just stay in town and not go to the baseball game. Thankfully, the team didn't need me and they won two games that night and advanced to the second round - awesome!

Instead of going to the game, I ended up hanging out with my dear friends Paul and Leah. They live at the Five Points Farm which I think I have mentioned a time or two before. Their goat, Luna, was pregnant, and as luck would have it, she had her kid on Friday. The little guy was promptly named Oscar and he is as cute as a button and seriously, what is more relaxing after a long week than hanging out with cute newborn baby animals? So, after I got home and let Pip run around for a while, I headed over to Paul and Leah's and met Oscar who is absolutely adorable.

I had been texting with Leah earlier that day and she had told me that she and Paul were planning to hit up Huntsville's first Food Truck Friday and so I basically invited myself to tag along with them on the adventure. Thankfully, they were cool with it. So, we headed to the Food Truck rally along with every other person in Huntsville, Seriously, there were certainly thousands of people there. All of the lines were incredibly long and after walking around for w bit, we decided to get in the shortest line which was the Food Fighters line.

When we got about 10 people away from the window, we discovered they had run out of brisket and we were all extremely disappointed. In the meantime, our friends Jonathan and Caley were wandering around and having no luck choosing a food truck line because they were all so long. Paul and Leah and I were the next in line to order when Jonathan and Caley asked us if we wanted to just go some where and eat and so, after standing in line for an hour and a half and being the next to order, we left the line and went to Big Ed's Pizza.

Big Ed's is a Huntsville staple and yet I had never been there. Caley and I split a white pizza and each had a salad and everyone else had a calzone. The pizza and salad was so good. The company was even better. It ended up being such a fun night despite the fact that the food trucks were a total bust for us. We decided that next month we should get there super early so we can be guaranteed to get food and not wait in line. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm very blessed to have such great friends and I'm thankful for the all the times we get to spend together.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I debated whether or not to fight the Food Truck crowd, and now I'm glad I didn't :)
Little Oscar is adorable!!!!