Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Running Around Town

The Pip and I survived the storms and I hope you did too. Tornadoes touched down in surrounding areas but thankfully nothing hit close. In fact, I don't think it ever really rained hard until after I went to bed.

I left work a little after 4:00 on Monday and as I was driving home, I decided to stop by The Home Depot to see if they had a battery powered lantern. My parents have one of these and it emits a lot of light and I figured if the power were to go out I might need some light source that would be strong enough to read by. I don't have a good flashlight, just some cheap ones that quite honestly don't give off a lot of light; thus the decision to make a last minute run to Home Depot.

As luck would have it, they had one lantern left and it was the same one my parents had so I grabbed it up and headed for the batteries only to discover that all the D batteries had been bought and there were no more. So, after I bought the lantern (and some lawn bags that I also needed), I went next door to Staples and thankfully, they still had batteries.

The rest of the evening was really kind of uneventful. There was a moment of about an hour or so where I was concerned that a tornado might come close and of course, the sirens are never comforting. I stood outside talking to my neighbor Jeff at one point while the sirens were going off. We're super safe like that.

Thanks to the glory of Twitter, I was able to clear some shows from the DVR while keeping a check on all that was going on with the weather via Twitter. At 9:00 p.m., I was beyond excited to see that Channel 48 had dropped weather coverage and was showing The Blacklist. However, that wasn't long-lived as the weatherman broke in mid-way. Thankfully, there is On Demand and I can catch up on it later. It was shortly after this that I went to bed for the night.

Tuesday, I had the day off from work. I had a dental appointment, and appointment with a new doctor, and an appointment with the chiropractor. I started the morning at the vet. Pip and I left home around 7:00 a.m. She needed a nail trim and I wanted to get her weight so I could get her heartworm medicine for the month of May. She weighed 52.2 pounds. That's probably the biggest gain she's had in a while.

I went to my doctor appointments and in between ran some errands to the post office, Wal-Mart, Publix, Five Guys (for some lunch), and the mall when I needed to kill some time before my final appointment of the day. I finally made it home around 2:00 p.m. It was an extremely productive day and I'm glad I ended up taking the whole day off. Sometimes you just need a day to get things done like doctor appointments and post office runs.

When I got home, I had about an hour before I needed to call in for a conference call for work. After the call, I watched some TV and took a mini-nap. My weight training class was cancelled for the night because more storms were expected. So far, though, all tornado watches have been cancelled and we've only had one line of rain come through. I'm doubtful the evening is going to hold much excitement.

So, that's how my Monday and Tuesday went. Hope yours went well too and that you and yours are safe and sound!

No comments: