Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Last Day on the Island and the Long Journey Home

I'm posting this a little late seeing as how I've been home for a couple of days, but better late than never, right?

On Saturday we woke up early, showered, dressed, ate breakfast and left the cruise ship, all before 8:15 a.m. We got a cab to the rental cars at the airport and picked up one we had reserved for the day.

Our first stop was the Dole Plantation. We got there a little before 9:30 only to realize they opened at 9:30 so I guess you could say we had good timing. We took the train tour, wandered around the store and ate some pineapple. Well, I actually had pineapple ice cream with pineapple pieces on top. We also watched a pineapple demonstration on how to cut a pineapple. I should have videoed it because I probably won't remember how to do it.

After leaving the Dole Plantation, we headed to the North Shore. We didn't have any firm plans for the day so we just did a lot of driving around and stopped to look at the beach a few times. We also stopped at a shrimp truck and had some lunch which I thought was quite tasty.

Our next stop was the Punchbowl National Cemetery where some of the victims of Pearl Harbor are buried. We spent a while there and then made our last stop of the night which was for dinner. After dinner, we dropped off the car and took the trolley to the airport.

Our flight left Honolulu at 9:40 p.m. Hawaiian time and we arrived at LAX at 6:00 a.m. Pacific time. Our flight to Nashville was scheduled to leave at 10:00 a.m. and we were supposed to arrive in Nashville a little before 4:00 p.m. Our flight, however, was delayed until 11:30 a.m. and then it was delayed until 12:15 p.m. and then they had us change gates and terminals. After changing terminals, we discovered there were no pilots for our flight because the pilots had hit their FAA limit. Long story short, we finally left LA around 1:00 p.m. and were flown to Salt Lake City where we changed pilots.

We arrived to lots and lots of snow in Salt Lake City. We were there close to an hour between the changing of the pilots, refueling and deicing of the plane. Long story short, we finally landed in Nashville at 8:45 p.m. By the time we got out luggage, got to our car, hit the road, picked up some food and got home, it was midnight and we had been awake for about 37 hours with the exception of a few naps here and there.

Monday I spent the day doing laundry, cleaning the house and then picking up Pippa who is extremely hoarse because I imagine she barked constantly while I was gone. I think she has some separation anxiety. She has been by my side and has been rather calm since getting home. She must be resting her voice because she hasn't tried to bark much since getting home.

Now I'm catching up on work, catching up with people and attempting to get over the jet lag. It was a great trip, but there's no place like home.

No comments: