Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Day That Nothing Happened

I had grand intentions of writing a post today updating you on all the glorious progress that had been done on my spare bedroom… and then I got home last night, opened the door, and found that nothing had changed since I left the house about 12 hours earlier. The wind was knocked out of my sails. C’est la vie, I suppose.

Yesterday morning, my dad met the repair man at Lowes and bought materials to be used in the house. My dad called me soon after and said that the plan was for the new floor joists and sub floor to go in. I asked about the leak and my dad said that the repair man was going to figure out where the washing machine was leaking and repair that and then put in the joists and the sub floor. In the meantime, the hardwood floor would probably have to be ordered and I would get an update on that later on.

So, when I got home from the gym last night, I expected there to be a new sub floor in the spare bedroom. I was so excited to see the progress being made, hoping that I would soon be done living the life of a hoarder. Then when I opened the door to the spare bedroom, I felt so defeated and crawled under a pile of stuff and cried… well, not really. I was really disappointed, but I actually just fixed myself a sandwich and then took a shower. I also called my dad to see if he knew what was going on. I thought maybe they had just spent the day repairing the leak or something but everything was in the exact same place as before so I’m pretty sure that absolutely nothing was done yesterday. My dad didn’t answer so I left a message and haven’t heard back; so, your guess is as good as mine. I told you that no construction project only takes a week! I just hope it’s completed by Labor Day weekend so I will have the extra day to put my life back in order.

In other news, high school football season starts this weekend and I still have no idea if I’m working for the newspaper on Friday night or not. I’m inclined to think not, but then again, I have received assignments as late as Thursday before, and wouldn’t be surprised if it happened again this go around. In addition to not yet receiving an assignment, the newspaper has also made a tremendous amount of cutbacks in recent years, which is one of the many reasons why our newspaper isn’t as readable as it once was. Is anyone else as sad as I am that the newspaper will soon be extinct? Anyway, the paper also used a lot of interns last year because they like to keep it cheap and my guess is they are going the cheap route again, which in all honesty is fine by me. I don’t really think I’ll miss it all that much. I will, however, miss the extra cash.

The weather is gradually cooling off which means there might not be any more cooking in the car segments this summer. I really should have started earlier this year. Not that I’m hoping for really hot days, but I would like to get at least one more cooking in the car post up before the fall. I’ll keep my eyes out for an upcoming scorcher and hopefully remember to place something on the oven dash.

Keep your fingers crossed for some progress on my house today. I’m ready for the madness to be over. Have a great hump day!


Erika said...

Bummer that they didn't get started on the work :( I probably would have cried!
Maybe today you will go home and be pleasantly surprised.

Kimberly Washer said...

OH man cooking in the car!!! Can't wait!! I hope you have one more day to do that!!