Friday, August 26, 2011

More Progress and an Unrelated Dilemma

Yesterday even more progress was made on the floor in my spare bedroom – you can actually walk in there again. All of the subfloor is now in place awaiting the hardwood to come in. I took some photos with my camera, then neglected to upload them; I meant to take a photo with my phone and then in a rush to get things ready this morning, didn’t do that either so there will be no photos of the subfloor today I’m sorry to report.

There was a lot of sawdust in the room and so I vacuumed a good majority of that up when I got home. It was while I was vacuuming that I noticed all the old floor had been tossed out of the window and was laying in a pile beside the house. I hadn’t noticed it before because I had not been able to get over to the window and I don’t really venture over to that side of my house unless I’m mowing the lawn; so I had no idea the pile was there until I happened upon it yesterday afternoon. I’m assuming at some point the repair guys will clean it up; or at least I hope so.




I also managed to dig the paint cans out of my bedroom closet and what do you know, the paint can for the spare room was in there so I am set as far as getting paint to match the room, which is great news. Now I will have to dig out the paint samples from my scrapbook of the house renovation and see if Home Depot can still make the colors for the hallway and the trim – here’s to hoping. I don’t really know at what point I can start painting; but I can assure you I am not looking forward to it in the least.

After vacuuming the room and making some food for a baby shower we are having at work today, I headed over to the lovely Erika’s house and had dinner with her and her delightful mamma. We enjoyed a delicious dinner of Beef Stroganoff and had even better conversation which lasted until I called it quits some time after 10:00. I think we could have talked all night long, but I’m a lover of sleep and had to cut it short. When I got home I read a chapter of the book I’m reading (a review coming soon) and then went to bed.

This morning, when I got up, I had a text from the newspaper (sent at midnight) about an assignment for tonight. When I got in to work this morning, I emailed and declined the assignment. I had already made plans with my family to attend the Madison Academy game tonight and really want to go to it. Plus, I’ve really gotten to the point where I don’t much enjoy covering high school games any more. I always get the worst games and when one team is beating another team 49-0, well, it’s just not much fun to watch or write about for that matter. I felt guilty about not taking the assignment, but I’m not keen on last minute assignments. I know it was an honest mistake, but still. So, now I’m debating about whether or not I should just “retire” from my newspaper writing days. I will miss the extra cash, but when you break it down with gas and the time I spend working, it’s probably less than minimum wage and I know I would have more fun if I just was a spectator. So, I’m kind of at a crossroads here and will definitely be pondering my newspaper writing future over the course of the next few days.

I think that’s about all the information I have to share with you all today. I certainly hope you all have a great weekend and if anyone is interested in helping me paint this next week, be sure and let me know in the comments. I won’t hold my breath for a large response.

1 comment:

Erika said...

So glad you came over last night!

Don't feel bad about turning down the assignment - That last minute stuff would drive me bonkers. I doubt you really need the $$$, so take your Friday nights and enjoy them :)

By no means to I claim to be a painter, but I would be happy to help you.