Friday, August 12, 2011

It Was Hotter Than Blazes

Well, my dad and I had quite an adventurous day today. We left his house a little after 5:00 this morning and headed to Atlanta for the first round of the PGA Championship. After an hour or so, we stopped off at Hardees to grab some breakfast to go and were soon on our way again.

Once we were in Georgia, we were driving along when all of a sudden there were blue lights in the rear view mirror. My dad thought it was because he was speeding, but it turns out that was not the case. For those of you who are familiar with my dad’s driving, you will not find it surprising that he was in fact pulled over for driving in the middle of the road. Thankfully, he got off without a ticket and promised to pay more attention to the road.

Once we reached the parking lot, we started putting our things in the trunk and getting together what we needed to take inside. I heard the car beeping and asked my dad why it was beeping. He said it was because the door was open. I thought that was a little strange, but didn’t question it. We walked on over to the shuttle and soon arrived at the golf course.

When we were inside, we looked through the store, then we eventually made our way over to the green at 18 and sat there for a while and watched a few groups putt. Then we ate some lunch and headed over to the backside of the course to hole five. We watched quite a few groups come through there. At this particular spot, we were in the blazing sun and it was so stinkin’ hot. There was a nice girl there that shared some of her sunscreen with me. I had applied some twice before I went in but didn’t take mine with me because it is a large spray bottle and I didn’t want to tote it around. I must have looked pretty bad because my dad asked me more than once if I was okay and also when we got our lunch someone asked me if I was okay and again when I went to get some waters. Ya’ll, I may be a Southern girl, but I do not do well in the Southern heat.

After a few hours or so at hole five, we meandered on over to hole nine and stayed there for a few hours. This was a nice spot as we were in the bleachers and there were fans close by. There had also been fans with mist at original spot at 18. The fans were great – good thinking PGA! While we were at hole nine, my dad thought out loud that he may not have turned the car lights off – thus the beeping I had asked him about. He figured that when we got back to the car, the battery would be dead.

We left hole nine around 6:30 or so and headed out to the shuttle and when we reached the car, sure enough, the battery was dead and we had to get a jump from one of the parking lot attendants. We left the parking lot and headed out to eat some dinner at Red Lobster, which was really good and the service was way better than the one in Huntsville.

We finally made it to the hotel about 9:30 and I am now typing this up and chatting with my insurance company about how terrible their customer service is. Again, that’s a story for another day. So, tomorrow we head out for round two of the tournament. It’s going to be another scorcher. Hopefully the sunscreen will hold up. In the meantime here are some photos I took on my phone, photos are not allowed during championship rounds so don’t tell on me!







2 comments:

Jackie said...

Did you have a flash back to the Penn State game? The heat was horrible that day. Also who is your Insurance carrier?

Erika said...

I really like my insurance company if you are looking for a switch!

Glad you and your dad are having fun together. I'm glad he didn't get a ticket, and I'm glad the parking attendant had jumper cables.

Maybe today won't be quite so hot. Have fun!