Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cooking in the Car: Crescent Rolls

So, we’ve hit 100 degrees or higher for what feels like the last 100 days. Seriously, I don’t remember what it was like to walk outside and not sweat. Since the 100 degree days have decided to return, that also means that Cooking in the Car has returned and the 2012 edition is pretty good if I do say so myself. Before we get started though, I need to know something from you readers. Do, you want all the Cooking in Car segments posted in the same week or would you prefer one a week? Let me know in the comments; and if you are not familiar with Cooking in the Car, you can check out the previous years’ posts by searching "Cooking in the Car" on the left-hand side of the page. Sorry - I can't figure out how to link to all the posts. Ok, folks, here we go; it’s Cooking the Car 2012!

You will be happy to know that Wednesday night I went out and cleaned off my windshield and dashboard. The Hackberry tree in my yard is dropping lots of sap as is the case every summer and the windshield was beyond nasty. So, cleaning was essential before opening up the oven for the summer.

I started 2012 Cooking in the Car on Thursday, June 28 with Crescent Rolls, you know the ones Pilsbury makes and you buy in the refrigerated section at your local grocery store. I had a four pack of these in my fridge and they were yelling to be cooked in the car.

I rolled them out and into the crescent roll form and laid them out on the baking sheet before leaving for work. I arrive at work right at 7:00 a.m. and promptly put the baking sheet with the four rolls on the dash.


In the kitchen before work


On the dash - 7:00 a.m.


Up close - 7:00 a.m.

A view from outside the car - 7:00 a.m.

I left work around 3:45 since I had an appointment at 4:00. When I arrived at the car, I was actually kind of surprised to see that the crescent rolls had a golden brown color. I figured they would probably cook, but didn’t think they would get really brown. As it turns out, the golden brown wasn’t just on the outside, but it was all the way through, including the bottom. The outside of the rolls had a flakiness to them like you would find on a real croissant. Normally when I bake these at home they don’t really get flaky.


On the dash - 3:45 p.m.

Up close - 3:45 p.m.


A single roll - 3:45 p.m.

The bottom side - 3:45 p.m.

The rolls were not hard, in other words, I doubt they would break a window, but if they had been left out a few more hours they might have become that way. They tasted just like they had been baked in a real oven. They could have used a little butter though. Perhaps next time I will melt a side dish of butter.


After taking a bite - 3:45 p.m.


Golden brown all the way through!

The high on Thursday was 104 (I think I remembered that correctly).

So, if you are ever without an oven and are craving some crescent rolls in the hot summer, just put some on your dash and you’ll have them in no time, or at least in a few hours.

Don't foget to let me know if you want all the cooking posts in a group or one a week! Thanks!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

YAY for cooking in the car to return! I'm indifferent as to how/when you post them - I just love reading them....hilarious that you can actually bake in the car. Yum...crescent rolls!! :)

Erika said...

I'm a little surprised the crescent rolls did so well - I didn't really think they would cook all the way through.
I think one post a week would be nice :)

Alison said...

I was betting they would be doughy on the inside. Too funny. I have no preference to the Cooking posting. I'm just glad it's back!

Anonymous said...

This is Honey. Candy posted a link on FB and I had to check it out. When we talked about CITC at your house I thought it was hilarious. So glad I got to read it for myself :)

Jackie said...

YAY!! I am so glad Cooking In The Car is back!! Ashlyn will be so excited.