Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Restaurant Review: Anaheim Chili

So, after I started writing the restaurant review of Zoes Kitchen yesterday, I realized that I have in fact been to another new restaurant recently and you might like to know about it as well. The name of the place is Anaheim Chili and actually it's not all that new as it opened some time towards the end of 2011, but I had never eaten there until last month when I went with Jackie and her parents and some friends. 

Anaheim Chili is located on Cecil Ashburn drive in the strip of shops that also houses I Love Sushi, Bicycle Works and Bruegger's. It's actually in the building above those three, but I can't think of what else is exactly in the same building as Anaheim Chili, I do think there is a tennis store there; oh, and Alabama Outdoors. At any rate, if you know the area, then you know what I'm talking about and that's all that matters.

As you can imagine, Anaheim Chili's special is, well, chili. In fact, they have 10 or so different types. However, in addition to chili, they also have hamburgers, hot dogs and other items. Jackie and I both had the loose meat sandwich when we went which is described as a Sloppy Joe without the sloppy and we both thought it was really good. I had fries with mine. The fries are described something along the lines of being cooked like they are done in France which quite honestly cracked me up because fries in France don't taste any different in France than they do in the States. The only difference being they are called Frites in France. Moving on...

Jackie's mom had a hamburgers and she said she likes them better than Five Guys burgers - a bold statement indeed. Our friend Christa had a chili dog and she said it was delicious. It's what she always orders if I remember correctly. Jackie's step-dad, Tim, had a bowl of chili and it was a large sized portion and I cannot remember what Christa's husband had; but everyone seemed to enjoy their food immensely. We also shared some onion rings which appeared to be hand-battered and were served with a side of special sauce - these were really good. 

The prices were reasonable, all food is under $10 if I remember correctly; seems like our sandwiches were around $7 or $8 and the bowl of chili was around $6. The owner was in the restaurant cooking the day we were there and was friendly. The other staff were also nice and helpful. We ate there on a Sunday after church and it wasn't too crowded but at the same time, there were quite a few families and couples enjoying the food. I would definitely return for another visit, and it especially seems like it would be a good place to go when you need a hot bowl of chili on a cold winter day.

Anaheim Chili does not have a web site that I could find. For those of you on the dreaded facebook, it appears from the Google that they do have a facebook page. I did come across a Huntsville Times article about the place and have posted the link for you here. Check out Anaheim Chili the next time you are looking for a new restaurant to visit.

3 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

Thanks for this review, too. This place is close to my neck of the woods for work, so I might have to try it once the weather cools down. I don't like chili when it's hot!

Jackie said...

I really like the loose meat sandwich. It was a tad greasy but I could eat another one right now.

Erika said...

I haven't even heard of this place! Sounds really good and somewhere else to try out.