Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cooking in the Car - Eggs

So apparently I should have taken the end of last week off from blogging because no one left any comments; which basically means that Erika was not at work - she is my most loyal commenter and for that I will be eternally grateful. Comments keep me going people, just being honest here.

Today we have part two of Cooking in the Car: 2012 Edition. You may recall that a couple of years ago I attempted a to boil an egg in the car by leaving an egg in a glass of water on the dash for the day. Sadly, it did not turn out boiled as I had hoped, but rather it was basically a poached egg. This year I decided I would crack open the egg and see how that worked. After all, we often hear the phrase, "it's hot enough to fry an egg" or however it is that goes.

On Friday, June 29, I cracked open two eggs and scrambled them up in a glass bowl. I had smeared the bowl with butter because let's face it, cooked eggs need a little butter to make them tasty and I was hoping it would help prevent the eggs from sticking.

At the house before work


I arrived at work around 7:00 a.m. and left the eggs on the dash for the day; as always, I'm sure people were wondering what the heck was going on.


On the dash - 7:00 a.m.

Up close and on the dash - 7:00 a.m.


A view from outside the car - 7:00 a.m.

I left for the day at 4:00; so, the eggs were in the car for about nine hours. When I first got to the car, I didn't think the eggs had cooked. I don't know why I thought that because clearly they are not going to fluff up like scrambled eggs when they are basically just baking all day long. At any rate, I opened up the door and discovered that the eggs had indeed cooked, almost to the point of burning. They were a solid mass of egg and very hard and stuck to the bowl.


4:00 p.m.


Overdone eggs - 4:00 p.m.

A view from above - 4:00 p.m.

You know how if you over boil an egg and the yolk will get a bluish/black on the outside? Well, that's what happened with these eggs too. They were overcooked. The yolks were basically the color of Velveeta they had cooked so much and there was bluish/black on some parts of the egg.


A view from the underside - 4:00 p.m.
I did not eat this experiment. I'm not a big fan of eggs anyway and these were just not appealing to me in the least. I will say the eggs were a beast to get off of my bowl; apparently I should have used more butter. I ran the bowl through the dishwasher twice before some of the crustier egg finally came off.

So, that's the story of cooking eggs in the car. I wouldn't recommend leaving it out there for nine hours if you are looking to cook it and eat it. If you added some onion, mushrooms, cheese, etc. then it might make for a good omelet. Hmmm, maybe I'll try that another time.

5 comments:

Erika said...

Wise choice not to eat those, I think :)
I can't wait for the next installment of Cooking in the Car!

Melissa said...

Good idea not to eat those...interesting experiment though. Did your car smell all eggy? Is that even a word? Thanks for the afternoon entertainment :)

Mary McLaughlin said...

So, I've been out of town at baseball and just catching up! Glad you didn't eat the eggs. I would not be brave enough to cook eggs in my car because I would think they would smell bad! Keep up the good work!

Jackie said...

The whole time I was reading this I was screaming in my head please don't eat them if they are cooked. So glad you didn't.

Kimberly Washer said...

I am going to have to do a special post for you on how to link up old posts. I would have loved to been able to click a link to see how the other egg turned out you described :). I'm on it right now!!