Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It's Recap Time - Yes, Again

Well, I think I've made it through the past few busy weeks without losing my sanity, which is always a good thing. Of course, now comes the rush of Thanksgiving and Christmas and my word, doesn't it roll around quicker and quicker each year? I don't really have anything specific to talk about today, no one event if you will so I'll just do a quick recap of the past few days and leave it at that for now.

On the Wednesday after the election, I went to the gym and the chiropractor and then went to collect The Tide from my parents' house. I spent the rest of the day catching up on the DVR and managed a shower before heading to church that evening. Last Wednesdays' praise and prayer service was exactly what my soul needed. It was emotional and healing and was the perfect dose of medicine after Tuesday's election. It was hard to go back to work on Thursday after two days off, but the last two days of the week went by quickly and it was soon the weekend.

Friday night was the first round of the high school football playoffs and MA won without any problems. I keep thinking I would like for the games to be more interesting but after the last two Alabama games, I'll take a blow out.

Saturday morning I went to the funeral of a man who I have known since I was a young child. Affectionately called Jimbo by those of us who grew up at the same church, he died while driving back from a trip to Alaska. His sweet wife Carolyn passed away three years ago and I can still hear her voice when I sit down and think about it. Her specialty was peach cobbler and she used to joke that the cobbler was why Jimbo married her. I was really surprised to see such a small crowd at the funeral. This was a man who touched so many lives and it was just really surprising that there weren't many people there. It got me thinking about my own funeral, as is often the case, and wondering who, if anyone, would show up to my service.

After the funeral I came home to yard work. I needed to mow the lawn one last time and had been putting it off until the majority of the leaves had fallen off the trees. So, I got the yard looking much better just in time for the rest of the leaves to fall on Sunday and Monday. It seems as though yard work is in my near future yet again. That afternoon I watched the Alabama game which took another 10 years off my life; but, Alabama was outplayed and out-coached and that was a well-deserving win by the Aggies.

Sunday after church my cousin Alexandra took some photos of me and The Tide for our Christmas card. She sent me a few of them and I have already ordered my cards. We took the photos at Maple Hill, which probably sounds creepy, but there are some beautiful spots there and a few places where you can take photos without tombstones in the background. I went back to church in the evening for another lesson on emotions by Brother Bradley. He started the series a few weeks ago and it has been so good.

On Monday after work, I took The Tide by the vet's office to get her stitches out. The vet said she was doing good and he would like for her to not use her leg as much as she is, but it's kind of hard to tell a dog, "hey, don't use your leg." She still holds it up quite a bit but uses it a lot more than I thought she would. She is restricted to the leash for the next six weeks and it is hard to keep her from running at times.

Then on Tuesday, which happens to be today, not long after arriving at work I found out that a man I work with committed suicide this morning. This man was one of the nicest and friendliest people I knew. He was always smiling and as far as work people go, he was one of my favorites. I have never been so desperate that I have felt like taking my own life and I hope I never experience that. I can't even imagine how sad, desperate, and lonely someone must feel to think there is no hope left in the world. I would like to ask that you remember this family in your prayers. I am not going to list his name on here for the privacy of the family, but I know the Lord will know who you are talking about if you say a prayer for this family.

It's the season of thankfulness and I want you all to know that I am thankful for each of you who take a few minutes out of your day to see what's going on in my world. Take an extra moment to hug those you love today because you never know if they will be around tomorrow.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Oh that is so sad about the man that you work with....I think that must be extra terrible for the family, too.
I am glad you are enjoying Mayfair.

Melissa said...

Hey! Sounds like a busy week so far for you. That is so sad about your coworker. It's hard to believe that people we see each day are carrying around a lot that we don't even know about.