Thursday, November 1, 2012

You Got Lucky, Dog!

Well, today, Thursday, was the big day at our house - it was the day of The Tide's surgery for her torn ACL. She had to be at the vet's office before 9:00 a.m. Since they open at 8:00, I decided I would drop her off when they opened so I could go on in to work. She couldn't have any food or treats after midnight which was probably quite confusing to her since she is quite accustomed to getting a treat or three in the wee hours of each morning. I got up at my normal time and we went about our morning routines (with the exception of treat and her medicine) and then we left the house a little after 7:00 a.m.

I had to stop by my parents' house before we went to the vet's office because I needed to drop off tickets for Friday's Madison Academy game to my dad and also deliver some ribs that I had bought at Star Market for him. We got to my parents' house around 7:20 only to find all the doors locked tight. So, I had to go back to the car to retrieve my keys and let myself in through the back door. the Tide and I visited with my dad for a good 20 minutes or so before heading out the door again. While we were chatting my dad was rubbing The Tide's belly and told her, "you got lucky, dog." Indeed she did. Some other owner probably would have put her down 10 years ago when she was first diagnosed with hip dysplasia.

We arrived at the vet's office a few minutes before they opened at 8:00. As is always the case, The Tide could not wait to get out of the car and go inside. I don't know if she associates the vet's office with making her feel better or what the deal is, but she absolutely loves going to the vet and will nudge me out of my seat because she is so excited to get out of the car.

I got her signed in and soon after the vet tech came to take her to the back. He told me the surgery would take place around 10:30 or 11:00 and that they would give me a call after it was over to let me know how she was doing. I gave her one last hug and sent her on her merry way. I only got a wee bit teary-eyed and did not sob like a baby as I expected I would. After the tech took her back and I got back on the road, I realized I had left my phone at home and so I had to drive back home to pick it up since they would be calling me later on to tell me how the surgery went. After I got my phone, I went to my own doctor's office because after three months of having no sinus issues, I am once again plagued with a sinus infection. I caught this one really early though so I hope to knock it out quickly and then get back on the path to good health. Despite the very busy morning, I still made it to work by 9:00, which is only two hours later than I normally show up.

I didn't hear from the vet's office until around 1:30 or so. As you can imagine, I was getting a little antsy around noon when I had not heard anything. The vet tech that took her back that morning, Wesley, was also the one to call me. He said that the surgery went well and that she was in recovery. I asked him to please update me each day if possible and also reminded them to keep her through Monday. They usually keep the animals that have this surgery for a couple of days, but I am going on a church retreat this weekend and so I wanted to make sure they could keep a good eye on her while I cam gone. Wesley said he would call me and give me updates on how she is doing, so I'll be anxious to hear from him.

Needless to say, when I got home Thursday evening the house seemed really empty without The Tide wandering about. I'll be glad when she is back home and feeling better.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

So glad to hear the Tide's surgery went well. I hope she has a smooth recovery! You're an awesome mom to your pup.

Erika said...

Makes me tired just hearing about what all you accomplish so early in the morning :)