Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Holiday Season Is Upon Us

Greetings friends and fellow readers. Sorry for not posting anything Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It's been a rather uneventful few days since Thanksgiving and I doubt you wanted to read yet again about my weekend of cleaning house and doing laundry and watching football. So, I just didn't post anything. I really don't have much to write about at the moment either but will go ahead and ramble on for a while so as not to keep the adoring public waiting... or something like that.

I managed to get the inside Christmas decorations put out and also pulled out and decorated the tree, which just so happened to smell a little of gasoline thanks to the fact that it is stored in the same shed as my lawn mower. I keep waiting for it to go up in flames each time I plug it in. Hopefully that will not happen. It actually no longer smells of gasoline - or maybe I'm just used to it. It could have been the Christmas tree bag that had the smell, who knows? At any rate, when I was pulling it out and putting it up, there was a hint of gasoline in the air and I just hope my house doesn't catch on fire because that would certainly not make for a Merry Christmas.

I have not yet put the outside lights up. I plan to do that on Saturday. This past Saturday when I put the tree up, etc., I had a lot of other things going on and just did not have time to deal with the outside lights. I've had time to do it in the evenings, but I'm scared of going out to the shed in the dark - yes, I did just say that. Y'all there are spiders and all kinds of other creepy crawly things out there so the outside lights will have to wait until Saturday when I can pull the storage bin out of the shed in broad daylight.

As far as Christmas shopping is concerned, I am basically done. I just have one more gift card to pick up and then it will officially be a wrap - ha, get it! I started wrapping presents last weekend and hope to finish up in the next couple of days. I had to go out and get a few more boxes because I didn't grab enough free ones from stores on Black Friday.

I still have a ton of Christmas cards to address and cannot seem to get motivated to address them all. Hopefully I will get in the spirit in the next few days because I like to have my cards in the post the first week of December. 

Speaking of Christmas, if you are an ice cream lover, you should try the White Christmas ice cream from Publix. It is Publix brand and it is absolutely delicious. Have you ever noticed that I recommend a  lot of ice cream products and claim I don't even like ice cream that much? Truth be told I just have to be in the mood for ice cream and when I am in the mood I want something yummy and White Christmas from Publix definitely qualifies. 

For those of you looking for some free Christmas activities, I have a few things I would like to tell you about. First, the Huntsville Christmas parade is on Saturday. It starts at noon and is sure to be entertaining. Last year my dad and I went and it was the first time we had gone in many, many years. I think we are all planning to go this year and I am looking forward to it. Here is a link to the route

Next Monday, December 3, is one of my absolute favorite Christmas events - and it's free! It's the Heritage Bell Ringers Christmas program and it is amazing! The program begins at 7:00 p.m. at Trinity United Methodist Church on Airport Road. These folks perform Christmas songs with bells and it is so incredible! If you have your Monday night free, I strongly encourage you to attend. I would advise getting there early to get a good seat. I won't be able to make it this year because I will be at Ladies' Night Out for the church I used to attend and it is my last event as the official organizer so it would be kind of rude if I didn't show up. I am really bummed about missing this show though because it is probably my number one most favorite event of the holiday season. Please go if you have the chance. Here is a link to the Heritage Bell Ringers web site for more information.

Thursday, December 13 - Sunday, December 16 is The Living Christmas Tree at First Baptist Church. This is another one of my favorites. My friend Denny's parents are tree singers (I guess that's what they are called) and he got some tickets for me and my family to attend on December 13. These performances are also free, but you must have a ticket. Click here for information on how to get a ticket for this lovely show.

I'm sure I'll have some more Christmas information for you before the season is up. In the meantime, make plans to attend one or all of these three free events. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Mama and I always go to the Living Xmas tree as part of my birthday celebration - what a wonderful gift to the community! It is always an excellent production, and I can't believe it is free!
I can't believe the holidays are here....I have all my decorations done except putting ornaments on the tree. I'll try to tackle that tonight while I'm watching A Charlie Brown Christmas.