Monday, June 3, 2013

Adjusting

Well, it was my first full weekend back home after vacation and it had just enough activity to not totally tire me out. Tomorrow, however, will be my first full week back at work and I have no doubt the energy I saved over the weekend will be put to good use on the job.

On Friday afternoon, I took in a solo (that is by myself, not that I was the only one in the theater) showing of Star Trek Into Darkness and it was just as wonderful as I hoped it would be - review coming later in the week if I get around to it. After the movie, I met Jackie at I Love Sushi and we enjoyed some time together. I made it home around 8:30 and spent the rest of the evening watching TV and reading.

Saturday morning, I went over to Jackie's at 7:00 a.m. and we went to some yard sales that we were hoping would be fantastic but turned out to be less than stellar. After the yard sale run, we walked the track at the school to get in some exercise before it got blazing hot outside. We kept hoping the sun would hide behind a cloud, but we had no such luck.

After I dropped Jackie back off at home I stopped by the vet's office to pick up the remains of The Tide. I had her cremated and will be burying her in the backyard in the coming weeks. I have a little landscaping job I need to complete in the area where she will rest and want to get that completed before I lay her in her final resting place. I plan to have a memorial and invite a few people. It probably sounds kind of crazy to those of you who may not be animal lovers; but, to me, The Tide was practically like a person and I just want to have a little ceremony for her. I tried not to cry when I picked her up but, as you might expect, I did. In fact, there still hasn't been a day that I haven't cried. I miss that dog like crazy. When I come home I am so anxious to see her and then it hits me that she won't be there and it just breaks my heart. I meant to take her leftover medicine with me but left it at home so I will have to make another trip there soon to drop it off. They will be able to donate it to people who are not able to afford medicines and I am so thankful for that - even in her death she is still spreading love to others.

The rest of Saturday was kind of lazy. I did some laundry, took a nap and did a little cleaning. Sydney came over around 6:00 p.m. and we watched a couple of movies. She asked me, "Why did Tide have to be put to sleep?" and so I grabbed a tissue and tried not to sob like a baby and explained as best I could that The Tide was sick and she was not going to get better and it was the best thing I could have done for her so that she wouldn't suffer. I don't know if she understood or not, but hopefully she did a little.

Sydney fell asleep during the second movie and I put her in bed soon after. About 2:00 a.m. I heard footsteps which scared me until I remembered that she was at the house. She said she was ready to get up because she just wanted to be sure and get up early. I said, well, you can get up if you want to, but I'm staying right here. So, she pouted her way back to bed and was asleep soon after. Thankfully she didn't get up again until almost 7:00 and I was already awake at that point.

We enjoyed a morning at church and lunch with Alexandra, Josh and Indigo at Casa Blanca. She went home around 1:00 and I took my Sunday nap. After evening service I went to the grocery store. It was basically the first time I have been to the store since I've been back from vacation. I had picked up a few things last week so I could take lunch to work, but other than that I had not bought much so it was a big haul for me this week.

I hope the rest of you had a nice weekend as well. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll be hosting a giveaway, so I hope you will stop back by and check it out. Until then, have a great day!

1 comment:

Alison said...

I've been so busy I'm just catching up with your trip and I read about The Tide. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.