Wednesday, July 9, 2014

All Because of a Softball Injury

Allow me to apologize for the lack of blogging this week. My only excuse is it's July which means it's time for le Tour and so when I get home in the evenings the only thing I want to do is watch the action from earlier in the day. So, bear with me this month if I'm not as apt to blog as I am in, say, October.

I'm sure you've all been wondering how my leg is doing, and even if you haven't been, I'm going to share anyway. As you may or may not recall, I suffered a softball injury about four and a half weeks ago. It was June 8 to be exact. I was playing second base and fell and scraped up my leg twice in the same spot that particular evening. The cuts were deep, a lot deeper than I realized, and my leg was not heeling as quickly as I would have liked.

A week after the injury, my leg was looking rather disgusting and some of the ladies in my Bible study group were concerned about it. My ankle also started swelling which was concerning as well and so I went to the doctor to have it checked out. I ended up getting a Tetanus shot, a prescription for antibiotic cream and instructions to change the bandage three times a day.

The wound got a little better throughout that week, but over the weekend, my friend Caley looked at it and said the redness around the wound still indicated there might be some infection. So, I called the doctor and he called in an oral antibiotic. He had told me the previous week to let him know if the wound wasn't clearing up well and he would call one in without me having to come in to the office and he did just that which was nice.

Fast forward to about a week and a half into the antibiotic cycle which just so happened to be July 4. I woke up with red spots on my arms and legs. I thought it might be some bug bites since I had mowed the lawn the night before, but throughout the day, the break out seemed to increase.

By Saturday, there were even more spots and they were itchy and I thought I might have measles, mumps, or Ruebella I ended up at the QuickCare Clinic because I was so itchy and concerned about the blemishes. As it turns out, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and had to have a steroid shot. I got a steroid pack as well, but only took half a dose on Sunday and Monday and then it was all cleared up and so I abandoned the steroids because they make me a little nuts.

So, the injury is better, I'm nursing the area with Vitamin E Oil to help the skin heal and reduce scarring and I'm also all better from the allergic reaction. It's been a long road and I'm glad to almost have it all behind me. Clearly being 37 and playing softball might not have been the best decision of my life.


Erika said...

whoa....What a hassle....glad you are on the path to recovery though!

Julio Brzozowski said...

It's alright. I believe a bit more introspection is a plus, along with comprehensive physical treatment. It's been a while now, I hope you have fully recuperated since, and that you are back in your usual routine. Take care!

Julio Brzozowski @ U.S. HealthWorks