Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Just Singing and Resting

As far as weekends go, this past one wasn't the most adventurous I've ever had. In fact, it was very uneventful, but that's okay because it had been a while since I've had a Saturday where I had nothing on the calendar and I was just looking forward to staying in and being lazy. 

Friday night, there was a singing at Lincoln Church of Christ and I have no doubt I've told of my love of singing on this here blog before and so I made the one mile trip over to Lincoln to sing some old fashioned gospel hymns with the over 60 crowd. Actually, I wasn't the youngest person there, as there were some children in attendance as well; however, I'm sure their parents forced them to come whereas I was there of my own free will. One of the kids that was there was Troy's friend Georgia. They go to school together and Georgia also attends Mayfair with us. She is such a sweet little girl and she came over and gave me a hug and said hello. Touched my heart, y'all. The kids love me! 

I met Erika and her mom there and sat with them and we proceeded to sing for the next two hours. Let me tell you something about Friday night singings - they are great. The people sing out so loudly and I find it to be rather impressive. The thing I dislike about these gatherings of the saints is that the majority of the songs that are chosen are slow and I am a fan of the fast song. Also, some of the songs are from the vault and even I don't know them which is really saying something because I know A LOT of hymns. 

After the singing was over, we feasted on a plethora of church finger foods, all of which were yummy. Erika made some delicious rice krispy treats. Sometimes I forget how good those are! We sat at a table with a guy we used to go to church with at Memorial Parkway/Chase Park and another lady who formerly went to Lincoln but now attends Mayfair. The company was even better than the food and we all had a nice time visiting with one another. There were quite a few other people there who I knew, including a couple of ladies who work at the voting polls with me. I headed home close to 10:00, watched the rest of the day's stage of the Tour and then went to bed. 

On Saturday morning, I was up at 6:00 to watch, what else, the Tour. It was a big mountain stage, the last day in the Alps, and it did not disappoint. The rest of the day was spent watching shows from the DVR, eating and napping. Like I said, it was rather unproductive, but I was totally okay with that. I was glad to have a day where there was nothing on the agenda and all I needed to was take it easy. 

Sunday was the usual - church and a trip to the grocery store. We had a softball game at 6:00 which I did not dress out for because I've been having some trouble with my knee - I know, if it's not one thing it's another. The other team didn't show up so we got our second win of the season! The team ended up practicing which was probably a good thing. After the hour was up, the team ended up scrimmaging a team we had played a few weeks ago because their opponent didn't show up either. In fact, at least three teams didn't show up last night which kind of blows my mind. Did they all just decide they were tired of the softball season and throw in the proverbial towel? I stayed for the first practice but then left because I had some things I needed to do at home before the start of the week. We have make-up games the next two weeks (provided it doesn't rain) and I'm hoping my knee is better so I can play. 

So, it was a much needed low-key weekend in the midst of all the craziness of summer. Here's to hoping your weekend was good too!

Not my best picture, but still hilarious.

1 comment:

Erika said...

So glad you came to the singing....I told Mama I thought it was sad that our age group is always practically non-existent at such events. I enjoyed hearing you sing!
That pic of you and Pip is hilarious!!!