Friday, September 9, 2011

A Little Progress

I am thrilled beyond measure to report that the spare bedroom now has at least half of the hardwood floors installed. PRAISE JESUS! The other half should be installed today and all that will be left will be painting and moving the furniture back in. Of course, I left the house this morning without taking the first photo; so, unfortunately I have no visual aides to share with you today. I’m just as disappointed about that as you are because I like to have a photo of each phase but that’s how it goes sometimes I guess.

I got home from the gym last night around 6:30 and was elated to see that half of the room had flooring. My excitement however lasted a short time as I soon learned I need to go to Lowe’s and buy some quarter round and get it painted before the strike of midnight or I might turn into a pumpkin. So, off to Lowe’s I went only to discover that the quarter round might not fit in my car. I think my next purchase is going to be a beat up old truck. Maybe my dad and I could go halves on it because our family desperately needs a truck at times. We used to borrow one from one of my two granddads but now neither of them has a truck which leaves us all in a lurch when we need to haul stuff around.

Anyway, I creatively came up with a way to get the 12 foot long quarter round in my car; between two back seats is a small area that folds down and leads to a little passage way to the trunk. I opened that up and with the help of Brad from Lowe’s was able to get the quarter round through the trunk and up onto the front dash. I should have taken a photo of this. The quarter round still poked out a little so Brad tied down the trunk and put a caution flag at the end of the quarter round. Lowe’s is great. I don’t know if I’ve ever told you all how much I love Lowe’s but I do! I think I could spend my whole paycheck there each week.

I finally made it home around 8:00 or maybe a little before. I honestly don’t even know. The closet doors were once again moved into my three foot hallway and I once again had to move at least one of them in order to get to my bedroom. This time instead of knocking a hole in the wall, I busted a globe on the ceiling fan in my den. It’s always something. Nothing can ever go simple when it comes to me. There’s a huge crack in it and I’m expecting it to fall at any minute. I will have to get it replaced soon as it will drive me crazy with the large crack in it. Knowing my luck I won’t be able to find a matching globe and will have to replace all four – good times, people, good times. I now know why people get divorced when renovating homes. Actually, I don’t know that they do, but if home renovation resulted in a high divorce rate, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I finally was able to start painting after I laid out some old sheets that I used for The Tide when she travels here and there with me. It took an hour or so to get all the quarter round painted and I quarantined The Tide to the bedroom while I worked.

Once I was done, I let her out and was in the process of setting up the gate to block her from getting to the freshly painted quarter round when she quickly scooted around me, walked right over the quarter round and proceed to get paw prints of paint all over the floors. I finally managed to get her quarantined to the laundry room where I left her while I cleaned up the painted paw prints and repainted the areas on which she had walked.

At this point I was hungry and cooking was the last thing I wanted to do so I left The Tide in the laundry room and I set off for Subway where I got a delicious ham and cheese sub and wish I had another one right now. I know a lot of folks (Daddy) don’t like Subway, but I happen to really enjoy it. I made it home for the third time that night, scarfed down my sandwich, took a quick bath and went to bed. I did some reading and then it was lights out.

I’m hoping we can get the painting done at some point this weekend and then one night this coming week, my friend Lisa is going to come over and help me rearrange some furniture, hang pictures, etc, which I am really looking forward to. Actually, I’m most looking forward to being able to hang up my clothes again! Sweet mercy, I cannot wait!

So, that’s it for today’s update. Sorry it’s so lengthy and without pictures to boot. Keep your fingers crossed that progress continues over the next few days – I think normalcy is right around the corner!!

Update: I've just been told that I bought the wrong stuff  - that it's shoe mold and not quarter round even though it looks exactly the same. So, basically I just threw away $40 and wasted three hours of my life last night. It's back to square one this weekend where I will go spend another $40 or however much money and paint again. Can someone pass me a valium?


Erika said...

Lawsie! What a nightmare....
Sorry you had such a frustrating night. Maybe this time next week this whole fiasco will be behind you!

Alison said...

Uh, what's the difference between shoe mold and quarter round? Also, pictures when you get a chance, please! :D