Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Normalcy, Is That You Around The Corner?

Well, things have been moving right along with the work on the spare bedroom. It looks like the chaos that is currently my home will soon be coming to an end and I couldn’t be happier. Here’s what’s happened over the course of the past few days.

As you know, half of the flooring was installed on Thursday (and I forgot to take photos) and the remainder of the flooring was installed on Friday. Over the weekend, I bought and painted the quarter round and it was installed yesterday. Then, last night Justin and I painted the room as well as the hallway. So, the actual renovation work, if that’s what you want to call it, is now complete. Yea!

Look at how shiny and new!


New flooring! Woot!

This is the transistion from the old floor to the new - looks good I think.

I can’t remember if I ever told on here why exactly the floor in the bedroom ended up rotting. I’ve told a lot of people, but if I remember correctly, never put all the information on here. If I already told you this, then I apologize because I’m about to tell you again. When we originally renovated the house six years ago, we hired a plumber who wasn’t the brightest bulb in the box. I’ve had numerous plumbing problems to say the least. At any rate, this not-so-great plumber, who we will call K, didn’t plumb the drain line from the washing machine correctly. Instead of hooking the drain up to the city drain/sewer system, he just made it so that all of the water from the washing machine would drain under the house – under the spare bedroom that is. The crawl space in the spare bedroom is very low and the moisture from the past five and a half years of doing laundry got the better of my floors. Most of the water went directly on to the floor joists, the rest splattered on the sub floor and I guess what was left just stood under the house for however many days until it dried up, that is if it ever dried up, which I doubt. I do a lot of laundry, folks.

So, the repairman put in a drain pipe leading to the outside of the house and now all the water from the washer drains outside the house in the backyard. At some point I want to made a little trough there that will cover up the PVC pipe as the repairman said he could do because the pipe looks kind of ghetto just sticking out of the house.

Long story short, if I could find that plumber, who I happened to have gone to grade school and high school with, I would give him a piece of my mind and sue him for damages; but, alas, he has apparently high-tailed it out of town. Maybe he’s on the dreaded facebook. I’ll have to look in to that.

Now that all the construction is complete, it’s time to move all the goods back into the room. Thankfully, my dear friend Lisa is coming over tonight to help me move furniture around and also hang pictures on the wall. After that is done, I will then have the chore of moving all the clothing and other items from the closet back into their respective hiding places. I already cleaned out some of my clothes when I took them out of the closet, but plan to go through them once more to get rid of anything I haven’t worn in, oh, five years or so. I also want to go through all the other things and throw some of that stuff out as well. I’m using this opportunity to get rid of unwanted or unneeded items so that I will fell less like a hoarder. I’m also going to take the shoe mold, which I originally bought last Thursday night, down to the Habitat store. Hopefully they can use it in one of the Habitat houses. Once all the items are back nestled into the spare room, I will finally be able to give the house a good cleaning because folks, it needs it. With any luck, life will be back to normal and in order once more by the weekend. YES!


Almost finished!

Freshly painted quarter round, not shoe mold.

2 comments:

Erika said...

ah...Light at the end of the tunnel!
The new floors look great!

Candy said...

Looks great! I know you are glad things are getting back to normal! Can't wait to see it in person.