Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Morning Madness

This morning, I was prepared to share with you my experience from this past Friday night at Louis Crews Stadium; but, after the morning I had, I decided to put that on hold until tomorrow and instead tell you about my Monday morning madness!

As is usually the case, I got up about 5:30 this morning and set about my morning routine, let The Tide out, brush my teeth, etc. I actually was ahead of the game this morning because last night I ironed my shirt and got my breakfast ready along with a few other things that I usually wait until the last minute to complete. I needed to coil some chicken this morning because I had set it out from the freezer on Saturday and it needed to be cooked before it went bad. So, I put the chicken in a pan with some water, set it on the stove and turned it on. I also turned on my pot of boiling water as I do every morning to clean out my sinuses with the Neti Pot Bottle.

After I turned on the pots, I went into the den and checked my email, and twitter and made a move on Words With Friends when all of a sudden I smelled something burning and it was increasingly smelling worse. In that moment I realized that I must have turned on the wrong eye and instead of turning on the eye that had the pot of chicken, I turned on the eye that had every single one of my pot holders sitting on top of it.

I ran into the kitchen and sure enough, there was a fire on the stove as every pot holder I own was on FIRE! I (stupidly) grabbed them up and threw them into the sink and ran water over them. There was still a plastic piece (one of the pot holder loops) burning on the eye and I threw water on it as well. My heart was racing quite rapidly as I’m sure you can imagine.

Finally all the fire was out and there was a vast amount of smoke in the house. I opened the windows and the back door and went outside because the smoke was making it hard to breathe and I really needed some fresh air. I went back in and took the burned pot holders out to the garbage and opened some more windows. At this point I needed to take a shower so I did just that but left the back door open so The Tide could go out and get some fresh air if need be.

I finished getting ready for work and by the time I left home most of the smoke had left the house, but there was still a pretty strong smell. I turned off the AC unit (a decision I debated about for a long while because I do not love a hot house) and left some of the windows open, including the one The Tide likes to look out of all day long. Hopefully she will be able to breathe the fresh outside air rather than the smoky inside air. I left strict instructions with The Tide not to let anyone in to steal out belongings. I hope she listened.

So, that was my Monday morning. I managed to make it safely to work and surprisingly did not smell like smoke so hopefully most of the smoke got out of the house before it started stinking everything up. Here’s to hoping the rest of the day is much less dramatic!


Erika said...

OH no!!! I'm glad it didn't turn into anything worse. What a typical Monday morning :(
So have you added potholders to your Xmas list??? hehehe

Jackie said...

I'm just glad you didn't get in the shower after turning the burners on or that would have been awful! I did get a laugh thinking about you running around your kitchen throwing flaming pot holders in the sink, although I am sure it wasn't very humorous to you.

Alison said...

Yikes! I once set fire to a metal decorative burner cover when I turned on the wrong eye. I decided right then that the coils were just fine on their own. I'm glad you didn't burn your hands, you foolish creature! Don't you have a tiny kitchen extinguisher? I confess we didn't have one until our adoption process. Safety first! :D

Melissa said...

wow...that would scare me to death!! Good thing you acted quickly. Glad that all is ok!!!!!

Candy said...

Glad you are ok! That would have scared me to death! Last year we had a accident with a Christmas candle catching something on fire. JC saw it and screamed "FIREEE!!" She told everyone to stop, drop and roll! haha